EFans keeps blowing relays! Wires getting too hot. t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I have 09 Silverado efans. Have been working fine for the last year, but ever since AZs hot summers started, I have gone thru 3 relays! Now, I made my own harness, 1relay for each fan, 30 amp fuses per fan, 10 ga wiring for +/-, and ignition source from startup source Why would I keep blowing relays? Is constant ON producing too much heat? Need some help or may go back to old setup. HELP

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a standard Autozone 14" fan draws 28 amps at full speed.
dont know what brand, size, rpm, rating yours are, but you can expect real close amp rating.

Either put in a 60amp and go to 12 guage wire.
OR! be smart and hit a local cycle salvage and buy one or two depending on how you want them wired, Motorcycle Starter solinoids.

They are nuthing more than a 250amp relay, all metal, water proof, shock proof etc...
This way you will never think about a relay problem again.

I posted up a link on here for a website that sells 60 and 75amp relays for like 12$..

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I have a mark Viii and i'm running 60a relays...

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know electric principles, but I would think hot wires would = too much resistance or too much draw. Maybe a bad ground, bad connection, or bad motor in the fan?
When you say "constant on" do you have them wired to run any time the ignition is on, as opposed to the thermostat? They should run a long time in high heat, but maybe you do have a fan motor problem since they never get a break?
Just guessing at things to check. I would measure amp draw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I have heard about the motorcycle starter solinoids working very well!! I think I wanna go that route.

But.. like M3PO said, WHY SO HOT??? Just wondering what would make main power wire, and + to fan on the relay, is getting extremely hot. To the point of melting plastic, relay plastic. What would cause this?
My ground is great, dremmeled off to clean metal on frame itself. Any advice is welcome

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard about the motorcycle starter solinoids working very well!! I think I wanna go that route.

But.. like M3PO said, WHY SO HOT??? Just wondering what would make main power wire, and + to fan on the relay, is getting extremely hot. To the point of melting plastic, relay plastic. What would cause this?
My ground is great, dremmeled off to clean metal on frame itself. Any advice is welcome

You have a problem the fans are drawing too many amps for your system, or you have a bad ground, motor, connection, etc.
You need to measure the amp draw. If the wiring circuit is too hot, the fans are trying to pull more than they can handle.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Hoping fans aren't bad!! Brand new, taken outta 09' Silverado with less then 5k miles. They seem fine, but obviously something is going on. I used to have some Siemens fans outta a Taurus, I think. pushed mad air, but didn't draw anything near these new fans, I used to only run 1-40 amp relay to both fans? These new fans seemed to be drawing WAY more? any helps appreciated

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Fans are pulling more amps then relay can handle? Ground seems fine, main power wires are directly on battery +. Could my trigger wire be bad? I have it fused into a ignition source +, but not sure for what. Could this + trigger be causing?

Last edited:

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Apologies for not providing a better answer - but as the guys above recommended, check your draw.

Are you blowing fuses? Where is your fuse in regards to the relay? (before or after it?)

Any chance you have a poor ground to the frame?? (i know you indicated a good ground to the body)

Also, 10g can typically only handle 30a...it seems like you're pulling more and the wire is not enjoying it (hot to touch). And if you're pulling more then 30a, that could be the reason for blown relays. Is it a short run of wire to the fan or do you have lots of extra length?

Last point (i'm still a newb with electricity) - with the higher temperatures, I believe the resistance change may be causing you to draw 30+ amps. Check your draw when it's nice and hot out and your truck is all warmed up. Can someone who is smarter then me please chime in and offer their thoughts :)

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I am not blowing fuses, and fuse is before each relay, close to + battery connection.

Is using 10ga wires too big? giving too much current? Wires are cut to length, no extras. Ground is good, again direct to frame and cleaned, running others off same ground with no problems. i need to check the current draws on fans to see possibly what's up. I am getting confused tho by this

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia