Ebay Drop Spindles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Ebay Drop Spindles Research

After some cursory research I'm aware of three main 2" drop spindles for 2000-2006 Tahoes:

Belltech: $278
McGaughy's: $226
Ebay: $163

I want to cut cost, but I don't want to sacrifice of safety of suspension components, so this thread contains my research about these three drop spindles.

This thread was started with this initial post:

I found a low price on Ebay for some 2" drop spindles. I'm looking for a way to cut cost on my lowering project and not using name brand drop spindles may be a way to accomplish this. Has anyone used spindles like this from Ebay? Is there any reason to steer clear of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-07-Drop-...do-GMC-Sierra-1500-2508-2WD-4WD-/261221113180

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Ebay Drop Spindle Info

Yesteray I sent the following questions to the ebay seller:

Hi,
I'm gathering parts for lowering my 2004 Chevrolet 2wd Tahoe. I saw your item and was wondering about a few things:

*) What difference is there between these spindles and the 2" drop spindles from belltech and mcgaughy's?
*) Where are these spindles manufactured?
*) What grade of metal are these spindles made from?
*) Are these spindles cast or forged?

Today I received this response:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

1) Our spindles are identical to the Belltech 2508 Spindles, except ours costs quite a bit less.
2) These spindles are made in our privately owned factory in Shanghai. We manufacture these spindles and other products for Many companies including everyone selling them on Ebay.
3) These spindles are made from ASTM A536-84 CL 65-45-12 ductile iron. Same as all spindles in industry.
4) These are cast spindles, same way everyone manufacturers them. As to my knowledge there are no forged spindles for the 99-06 applications.

We have sold many thousands of these spindles this year and have been doing so for many years.

Please let me know if you have any additional
questions.

Thanks,
Spindle-Source

Last edited:

Danielgreig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Interesting! I am interested in what answers they respond with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
McGaughys Drop Spindle Info

I couldn't find a web interface to contact McGaughys, so I just called them directly. The person I spoke with was extremely polite and very helpful. Here's my questions and the replies:

*) What differences are there between McGaughys spindles and other 2" drop spindles on the market, such as Belltech or drop spindles found on ebay?

"We have a patented design on our spindle"..."the distances between the upper and lower ball joints are identical to OEM specs when using our spindles". The person went on to explain that some other lowering spindles may not allow you to align the front end properly since the spindles do not retain the OEM distance between upper and lower a-arms. He explained further that if the front end cannot be properly aligned then the solution is typically overcome by installing a camber kit.

The person I spoke with explained that apart from the castings, the manufacturing occurs in Fresno, California. I asked where the castings are made and he said that there "are a few different casting houses throughout the United States." I pressed further and asked specifically if any of the casting houses were outside of the U.S. The person I spoke with claimed that that information was private and they prefer not to share it.

Ductile Iron.

*) Are Belltech spindles cast or forged?

Cast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Belltech Drop Spindle Info

On 2013-07-16 I sent this to Belltech via the "contact us" section of their web site (http://www.belltech.com/contactus/):

Hello,
I'm considering purchasing 2" lowering spindles for a lowering project for my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe and I had a few questions about Belltech 2" lowering spindles:

*) What differences are there between Belltech spindles other 2" drop spindles on the market, such as McGaughys or drop spindles found on ebay?
*) Are Belltech spindles cast or forged?

**Update** As of 2013-07-19 I've still not heard back from belltech on this submission. **Update**

Last edited:

smoothcaliride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I personally have installed many spindles from the seller you referenced on the ebay link and have had no problems. I have installed the 99-06 and the 07-13 model lowering ones for a few customers, and the 99-06 lift ones. Out of the installs I have done for customers I have never had any issue getting them aligned. I worked in an install shop many years ago but have lately been just doing projects for customers on the side.

As was mentioned, McGaughys has a slightly different design. Interesting they wouldnt tell you where they get their castings from.

Laying the ebay spindles next to the belltech spindles, there were only very minor differences. Wish I had taken a picture of them. I'm interested to see belltech's response.

I believe that ebay price of $163 is the price shipped, correct? I have to look back at the last time i purchased them. Do the belltech and McGauphy prices include shipping?

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I personally have installed many spindles from the seller you referenced on the ebay link and have had no problems. I have installed the 99-06 and the 07-13 model lowering ones for a few customers, and the 99-06 lift ones. Out of the installs I have done for customers I have never had any issue getting them aligned. I worked in an install shop many years ago but have lately been just doing projects for customers on the side.

Wow! Awesome info! Thank you smoothcaliride! This is the kind of feedback I was fishing for on the ebay spindles. This info has helped me solidify my decision about which spindles to buy. I find it hard to believe that the ebay seller would have so much positive feedback if there were problems with the spindles. Ebay spindles must be strong enough to be safe when you consider the massive liability. If the spindles were weaker than stock spindles or caused problems, I don't think they'd be selling them still.

As was mentioned, McGaughys has a slightly different design. Interesting they wouldnt tell you where they get their castings from.

Yeah, very interesting. I understand that a company has a right to withhold information that they view as private...but I also believe very strongly in companies that practice transparency. I don't feel that this makes McGaughys a bad or evili company, it just makes them a company that's not as transparent as others. Due to my strong personal beliefs on this subject, this would cause me to choose a competitor to McGaughys as long as there wasn't a significant spike in price. My goal with this thread is to focus on the differences of drop spindles...so I'm going to do my best to not pass judgment on the companies based on my beliefs or opinions in this thread.

Laying the ebay spindles next to the belltech spindles, there were only very minor differences. Wish I had taken a picture of them. I'm interested to see belltech's response.

I too am interested in belltech's response. As soon as I hear back from them I'll update that respective post.

I believe that ebay price of $163 is the price shipped, correct? I have to look back at the last time i purchased them. Do the belltech and McGauphy prices include shipping?

I don't know for sure about whether the belltech and McGauphy spindles include shipping...and since it can vary so much between one reseller to another I'd prefer not to get too deep into that. On the other hand, the ebay price of $163 does include shipping (per the ebay auction details) so I feel that improves the deal that much more.

Last edited:

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Joined the site in 2011 and this was your very first post?

Lots of interesting things in this thread.

Mike

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information and detailed responses the manufactures have given you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879