E-Brake Cable Broken? Stuck Emergency Brake... Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rogue status hoho

rogue status hoho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet the cable going from the release handle to the foot pedal broke. thats what was wrong with mine. i went to the wrecker and bought a new cable. it just pops out, no tools required. the guy only charged me five bucks for that and a roof rack cover.

That's exactly what it ended up being! Thanks a ton! ... when you replaced it was it hard to rethread the cable through the line? How did that go?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cable broke as well last year....$20 for whole assembly including release handle from dealer. A few bolts off and back on...really easy to replace even for the noob's noob (me).

OP
OP
rogue status hoho

rogue status hoho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cable broke as well last year....$20 for whole assembly including release handle from dealer. A few bolts off and back on...really easy to replace even for the noob's noob (me).

Alright sounds good.. Thanks for the info. My damn dealer up here is charging me thirty.. whatever ha

lamordnt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This happened on my 2001 Yukon and I went and replaced the part as instructed in the post and it fixed it. About $40 from the dealership. The brake chime continued even after the replacement for about 2 days until the computer recognized the replacement part and then it stopped.

Rick

Reaction score
That's exactly what it ended up being! Thanks a ton! ... when you replaced it was it hard to rethread the cable through the line? How did that go?

it was real easy. there are i guess metal balls on each end of the cable and the were both shaped different on mine so it could only go in one way. i didnt need any tools. took like 2 mins

flyinghigh54

Reaction score
this just happened to me last weekend haha I was camping in the desert and thought i was gonna die since the brake couldn't release.

Any way I found out where it attached and pushed it as the e brake pedal kicked me in the face! I was thinking I would have to fabricate something to fix it but I just called the dealer they want $35. Not too bad

Rick

Reaction score
this just happened to me last weekend haha I was camping in the desert and thought i was gonna die since the brake couldn't release.

Any way I found out where it attached and pushed it as the e brake pedal kicked me in the face! I was thinking I would have to fabricate something to fix it but I just called the dealer they want $35. Not too bad

Haha thats funny. mine kicked me in the shoulder, lucky!!! you should go to a wrecker, 35 bucks for a one and a half foot peice of cable is a ripoff imo

flyinghigh54

Reaction score
so..... they take one off another car? junkyard?

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

when I called the dealer they said the kit came with a new handle as well, that it was the only way it came.

lamordnt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Door Chime

So I had the brake cable come apart on me and I replaced it no problem as described in this thread but now I have come across a new problem. The door chime will not stop and the parking brake light is constantly on. After I replaced the part it stopped chiming but then about a week later it came back and there seems to be no stopping it. I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer to see if it needed to recognize the new part but that didn't help. I don't want to remove the door chime as it also acts as a reminder when keys are in ignition and lights are on. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It is driving me nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian

Latest posts