Dual battery setup, now to move all but starter to second battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttremain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am installing a second battery in my 2015 Tahoe LTZ

The batteries are isolated for charging purposes. Next I wish to move all but the starter to
the secondary (deep cycle) battery. There are several positive cables coming from the
battery, and I'm not sure which to move.

Wiring information?
Advice?

Thanks in advance!

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not doing things like tailgating and loud music for extended amounts of time there is no real need to isolate anything.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just get a deep cycle battery made for cars like Odyssey, don't need the 2nd battery then

OP
OP
T

ttremain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Neither answer so far, answers the question.. Except I guess I did also ask for general advice. I meant advice on how to accomplish the task, not situations why I might not need to.

The second battery is to be used for accessories, to provide additional power for a winch, and as a fail-safe to connect if the main battery needs to be jump started.

So, again, does anyone know which positive wire is used for starting?

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say run both in parallel. Take the positive from the alternator and ground from the chassis. Fuse the positive you can use a circuit breaker if you want to be able to pull it out. Don't use a isolator. This will double your amps and keep both batteries fresh by constantly being used.

harpsubb92

Reaction score
5af815191fcd3c842b3fa45f06678908.jpg

Easy to set up with SPOD, national Luna smart solenoid & monitor. Don't have to mess with factory wiring. Runs all my accessories lights fridge outlets. 2011 LTZ.

59c3273b0b565bbe54872b9f05691ea9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

ttremain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not actually using an idolator, but an intelligent solenoid designed to charge the primary first after ignition.
Easy to set up with SPOD, national Luna smart solenoid & monitor. Don't have to mess with factory wiring. Runs all my accessories lights fridge outlets. 2011 LTZ.

I'm using the National Luna intelligent solenoid for split charging. (well I have it, but haven't installed it yet)

However I don't think rerouting power to individual accessories is necessary. (sPOD) I'd rather just reroute power to all at once. THEN worry about upgrading things (like replacing the factory power inverter)

So if I knew which positive cable coming off the battery is for the starter, I should be able to easily reroute the others.

The cables are a bit difficult to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts