Dual battery now accessories don't work unless engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baronske

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased and installed a keyline battery isolator. I was having a small battery drain and it has since gone away but since installing the isolator, my amp, LED lights and accessories won't work unless the engine is running. They do not work with the ignition in the "on" or "accessory" position. It's a 1998 chevy suburban. I will attach my diagram. Let me know if you can spot where I need to correct it please?

suburban electric jpg.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Folks will chime in with their suggestions.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the engine off and isolator open, whats the voltage level of both batteries?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased and installed a keyline battery isolator. I was having a small battery drain and it has since gone away but since installing the isolator, my amp, LED lights and accessories won't work unless the engine is running. They do not work with the ignition in the "on" or "accessory" position. It's a 1998 chevy suburban. I will attach my diagram. Let me know if you can spot where I need to correct it please?

View attachment 263440
you don't have a alternator??? lol

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything im reading off thier website leads me to believe your using it for the wrong purpose and the way your trying to use it is what your going to get. judging by what im reading its intended purpose is to charge a secondary battery your running large high power draws from. you hooked it up correctly but your isolating the entire truck off a second battery and the only thing that's actually even allowing it to start is when your alternator starts rotating its triggering the isolator allowing the secondary battery to be used. its only intended purpose is to keep a backup battery charged but separated from the rest of the truck. that way when your camping you have a fully charged battery you can hook something too that's always ready. then when your ready to leave your battery that actually runs the truck is still ready to go.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i suggest removing it and we can help you start to look for where your draw is coming from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons