DRL recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could always rewire fogs to a switch that auto turns on when you start...in theory. Anyone up for the task/bill of materials? :winner_first_h4h:

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can’t believe how bent out of shape people are getting over this.
LoL right! All I was wondering was if anyone talked their service department into turning them back on to full brightness, like when just your marker lights are on, mine dim just like they do when my headlights are on. I'm almost positive the GM scanner would do it. Just like the fully disabled law enforcement DRLs. For example, Canada, bet Canada doesn't have this law like the U.S. does. I'm going to figure this out between the 3 Chevy dealerships I live by. I'll get to the bottom of it and let everyone know here.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoL right! All I was wondering was if anyone talked their service department into turning them back on to full brightness, like when just your marker lights are on, mine dim just like they do when my headlights are on. I'm almost positive the GM scanner would do it. Just like the fully disabled law enforcement DRLs. For example, Canada, bet Canada doesn't have this law like the U.S. does. I'm going to figure this out between the 3 Chevy dealerships I live by. I'll get to the bottom of it and let everyone know here.

My 2015 RAM did not roll off the factory with DRLs enabled, but the Canadian models did. I think the DRLs in Canada may be required? I've never seen a vehicle here where the DRLs remain on with the headlights.

HAL9K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DRLs are indeed mandatory here in Canada, and they dim or turn off (depending on the car) when headlights are turned on.

I don't get the hate for DRLs, with digital or otherwise always backlit dashes being more and more common on cars, I see idiots driving with their headlights off at night all the time without realizing it, with only their DRLs on. If it wasn't for mandatory DRLs, they'd be driving with no lights on at night.

I also don't get why you'd want them to stay bright. They won't light up the road any better for the driver, but they'll blind everyone else around. Dimming when headlights are turned on at night makes the most sense.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I permanently disabled my Daytime Running Lights a few days after receiving my new Tahoe. They do nothing to improve safety and are only a "decoration”. General Motors, on two separate occasions, petitioned the government to mandate the use of Daytime Running Lights. On both occasions, the Department of Transportation was unable to find ANY safety improvement with the use of DRLs. GM's request was denied, twice. You'll notice most law enforcement vehicles have there DRLs OFF, including ones from General Motors that require a simple programming ‘bit’ to disable.

Remember, DRLs are not mandatory in the United States. You don't have to have them if you don't want them. If buying from stock, INSIST that the dealer disable the DRLs as a condition of sale. Contrary to what the dealer might say, there is no law in the US preventing them from doing so. On my Tahoe, I can turn them on, or off anytime at my command.

There are MANY situations where you want to turn off all vehicle lights. There are over 400 Movie Drive-Ins in America today, or you might be waiting outside for someone at night and don't want to shine your lights in someone's face or windows. Or maybe you just think it's silly to drive around with your lights on when it's hot and sunny outside.

Daytime Running Lights also (slightly) reduce fuel efficiency. That is why ALL auto manufacturers disconnect them for the EPA fuel efficiency tests. Toyota, Tesla, and some other manufacturers have “DRL OFF” right on the light switch.
DRLs only activate when in drive or reverse, not park.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the BCM flash done at the dealer a week ago. The DRLs dim when the headlights are on. I did not notice my DRLs staying bright with the headlights on before the update. My guess is it's a software glitch and sometimes they dim and other times they don't. The software update takes care of that glitch.

The change I and others on the forum noticed after the update is that during the day if you turn your fog lights (Yukon only) on, the DRLs will stay bright. Before the update the DRLs would dim if you turned on the fog lights.
This is how they operate on my 2019 Yukon as well.

Ambient brightness too bright to activate headlights in auto mode, but fog lights triggered manually; Daytime Running Lights illuminate dimly in PARK, bright in DRIVE.

Ambient brightness too bright to activate headlights in auto mode, fog lights OFF; Daytime Running Lights illuminate only bright in DRIVE, off in PARK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues