Driving in L9 and DFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NBonn21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings all

Has anyone confirmed if driving in L9 will disable DFM?

I haven't been able to find anything on the forums and haven't noticed whether it works or not . I have tried it but can not confirm for sure seeing that there is no indicator stating such. Plenty of older trucks that do but nothing on the newer vehicles with the 10 speed transmission

Until Range Technologies come out with a plug in to disabled DFM its my opinion this may be the best way to help prevent the dreaded lifter failure issue.

I have called Range and they cannot confirm if this will actually happen for the late model Tahoe/Yukon vehicles. Anybody hear anything else on this?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these new rigs not notify you when they drop down to 4 cylinder mode? There was a little light on the dash in her last ‘16 denali, and it was kind of obvious when it did it anyway.

Well, on my ram, there is an indicator on the dash when it goes into 4 banger mode, not to mention it is obvious when it slips into that mode anyway. And, if i put the trans in the highest manual gear setting it will prevent dfm from kicking in altogether. Tow haul does it as well (but you get the different shift characteristics that comes along with going that way).

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these new rigs not notify you when they drop down to 4 cylinder mode? There was a little light on the dash in her last ‘16 denali, and it was kind of obvious when it did it anyway.

Well, on my ram, there is an indicator on the dash when it goes into 4 banger mode, not to mention it is obvious when it slips into that mode anyway. And, if i put the trans in the highest manual gear setting it will prevent dfm from kicking in altogether. Tow haul does it as well (but you get the different shift characteristics that comes along with going that way).
No, I wish they did notify when it’s engaged. :)

Reddevil96

Reaction score
I can confirm on my 2021 XL Denali that L1-9 disable DFM. DFM does its normal operation in L10 and D. Drivability and power are far more consistent in L9 or less around town or slower traffic on the highway, and I am now using L6-L9 90% of the time.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can also confirm L9 works and I’ve done this on my RST. With my exhaust setup it sounds very nice also wish. Personally I like to lean back when I drive so the actual setup and buttons are a bit of a stretch and not fluent. Wish we had paddle shifters instead but you can’t have your cake and eat it too. So I use it once in a while when I am feeling froggy.

OP
OP
N

NBonn21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I am glad to hear that, I will be driving in L9 almost always from now on.
My Denali was built on May 18th outside of the dates specified for the lifter failure but unfortunately I don’t have to much confidence in that timeline.

I love this rig but the reason I purchased this as my retirement vehicle was to travel the country and being left stranded a few thousand miles from home is not very appealing.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
I can also confirm L9 works and I’ve done this on my RST. With my exhaust setup it sounds very nice also wish. Personally I like to lean back when I drive so the actual setup and buttons are a bit of a stretch and not fluent. Wish we had paddle shifters instead but you can’t have your cake and eat it too. So I use it once in a while when I am feeling froggy.

Current pictures of the new Sierra show paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Would make for a nice upgrade swap onto yukons.

SlimIm17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a stock 2021 Tahoe Z71 5.3 L84, and just starting driving in L9. Wow, what a difference. I drive slow - - over the last 7,000 miles, I averaged 19.2 MPG driving in D. Too soon to tell how much driving in L9 will impact MPG (but saving gas isn't the reason to deactivate DFM).

In L9 the transmission upshifts later in the RPM band and stays in a lower gear when coasting...kind of like sport mode, or when hill descent activates. Also, noticed the auto stop/start feature doesn't kick in. Can't say for certain all 8 cylinders are on all the time, but it definitely feels that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne