Driving in L9 and DFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buffalown

Reaction score
I’m not certain, but I am assuming they are meaning using the low/ shift buttons on the selector panel, and keeping it in gear 9, instead of the “D” button (where it will goto 10, and everything is automatically shifted).
is there any downside to always driving like this, i.e. harder on the transmission or anything like that?

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s what I was assuming, just trying to wrap my head around “low” 9, lol.

SlimIm17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one lol
Instead of "D", shift into "L" for low gears. In my model, you have to shift into D, then push L to enter low 1, but then push the "+" button 8 more times to be in "L9". You can adjust the highest gear the transmission will shift into, 1-10. My Tahoe has 10 speeds. Driving in L9 (or L7 or L-whatever), seems to turn off AFM/DFM so all 8 cylinders as always firing.

Reaction score
Thanks. I drive slow (or used to before L9) and coast a lot.

View attachment 365247
I just took a 250 mile, round-trip today and used L9. I sh*t you not, my economy improved. I can't understand how eliminating a fuel-saving measure would save fuel, but it did. Mind you, I take these trips frequently. I went from 16.2 avg to 18.6. The majority of the trip was 74 mph on cruise. The truck was a lot smoother as well. I wish an actual GM engineer could chime in on this subject. I'm perplexed.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious on fuses 60 and 67 in the engine fuse block. They claim to be for AFM even though the 21’s and newer have DFM.

Some of the guys on the Sierra/Silverado forums have been pulling those two fuses to disable DFM on their 2019+ pickups with the 5.3. It sounds like on the 5.3 it works, but the 6.2 will run rough and those with the 5.3’s reported better engine response but wasn’t able to fully confirm it was truly disabled. I figured a code or service engine light would be set, but multiple users on those forums claimed no messages/alerts were seen.

I was just curious if anyone with a 5.3 has tried pulling those fuses and had good results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt