Driveshaft solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very hard to believe your driveshaft lost balance unless.... The weight from factory came off or you bent it. Also the driveshafts are a dime a dozen at junkyard you can find them all over the place. If not dented and little factory weight is still welded on should be good. They are balanced independently from factory too.

Nm, I see you got it figured out. Wild it went out of balance.
Can one assume that being independently balanced that when installing orientation/alignment is a non-issue. Just remove the old and install the new without worrying about the new driveshaft being off ?

Logan5

Reaction score
Can one assume that being independently balanced that when installing orientation/alignment is a non-issue. Just remove the old and install the new without worrying about the new driveshaft being off ?
Yup. I just took a driveshaft from one tahoe and put it in another, went right in no problems. You do need to mind the orientation of the slip yoke to the drive shaft if you are changing out U-joints.

Meatstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup. I just took a driveshaft from one tahoe and put it in another, went right in no problems. You do need to mind the orientation of the slip yoke to the drive shaft if you are changing out U-joints.
Thank you for that bit of info. Much appreciated.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the GM driveshaft is constructed, but let me share a story from my Toyota Sequoia. It had a real bad vibration and it was getting worse. Lucky that an experienced Tech at the Dealer knew exactly what was going on. The Toyota driveshaft is a double shaft with some kind of filler between the two pipes. That stuff deteriorates over the years (it was a 2007), it moves around, and throws off the balance. New driveshaft solved the problem.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if there was an issue with the U joints that could have contributed. When we had differential work done at about 100,000, the mechanic said one of the U joints was stiff to move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan