Driveshaft solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pauly1119

Reaction score
Hello, I suspected my driveshaft was a little off balance and still had the original U joints so I had a local drive line shop change them out and check the balance. It is off a good amount so he added some weights and told me to test drive and let him know how it feels, it’s actually a little worse now then before. Just a slight feel at around 75 ish. He said sometimes under load it will feel different. They are going to put in back on the machine Thursday and try again but any advice from anyone that has experienced a similar problem? BTW 2WD 2001 yukon XL 102K miles. Shaft has no damage and still looks good, the u joints didn’t even look bad.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you change your title to something like " slight vibration about 75mph," I would suggest a tire is causing the problem. Maybe even suggest something like "force balancing."

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
I have brand new tires and they are road forced balanced. The driveshaft is slightly off. It was checked at the shop, I’m going back tomorrow morning to adjust the weights on it. I’ll see what happens. I was looking for someone that maybe experienced a similar issue.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have brand new tires and they are road forced balanced. The driveshaft is slightly off. It was checked at the shop, I’m going back tomorrow morning to adjust the weights on it. I’ll see what happens. I was looking for someone that maybe experienced a similar issue.
I understand what you are saying. My comment was based on my experience. Moved from Pontiac Star Chief to Chevrolet C 2 contvertable in 1966. I have owned most every model Chevrolet car and truck made, Corvette, corvair, etc, K5 to C60. I have made driveshafts longer and shorter for special use. I have purchased tires. Dunlop Road Speed patrol was the only tire suitable for the C 2 which would peg the speedometer. I have operated vehicles with blue lights at wfo speeds. Recently had a compliant almost the same as you describe. New tires, Tiger Paws. no less. Owner said they used to be good as you could buy.
Tires balanced on three balance machines, faily smooth until speed about 68/70 and higher, then vibrations could be felt. I suggested that the tires be replaced with TOYO QT 113H 265 70 17. He replied that he did not need a tire speed rated higher than his vehicle could go. A few days he came back with a smile on his face and thanked me.
Tires need to be correct for vehicle, correct for speeds expected, correct for loads expected, correct for road conditions expected, correct inflation for use. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
Thanks, I had it with the old tires and now with the new ones so I had the driveshaft balanced and it came back out of spec. The tech showed me, I kinda just hung out in the back with him and showed me how they balance them. Basically kinda like a tire balance machine. It took a fairly heavy weight to get it balanced so he said maybe he will try a lighter weight and see. He did say they will act differently on the truck sometimes so we will see. I also replaced the wheel bearings and the rotors and brakes just a few weeks ago. Just hit 100k miles so it was do a full service anyway.

Reaction score
a new driveshaft off of Copart will hit you for under $200 shipped. I think that would be cheapest, easiest fix. And then you'd have a spare for when you're out four wheeling

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very hard to believe your driveshaft lost balance unless.... The weight from factory came off or you bent it. Also the driveshafts are a dime a dozen at junkyard you can find them all over the place. If not dented and little factory weight is still welded on should be good. They are balanced independently from factory too.

Nm, I see you got it figured out. Wild it went out of balance.

OP
OP
P

pauly1119

Reaction score
Very hard to believe your driveshaft lost balance unless.... The weight from factory came off or you bent it. Also the driveshafts are a dime a dozen at junkyard you can find them all over the place. If not dented and little factory weight is still welded on should be good. They are balanced independently from factory too.

Nm, I see you got it figured out. Wild it went out of balance.
I thought it was weird too, when I bought the truck I figured it was the tires so I’m sure it’s been like that for a long time. The feel at 70 ish was also very slight, my wife thought I was crazy to even address it but I’m a little OCD with all my cars. I actually did check a local junkyard and everyone was bent, I guess from the forklift moving them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins