Driver door ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemmy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all....I really need some help here.

Have the last days been searching a lot regarding this problem, but I'm really unsure.
After I changed my stepper motors and light bulbs in speedometer, I got this "driver door ajar" message and ding ding annoing buzzing alarm.....could it just be a coincidense or could the problem the cluster print bord after my replacement job?

It's not there all the time...come and goes, but seems more frequent the last days(?) and IT also drains my battery now and then.
I tried reconnect battery, spraying WD40 direct into the latch if the switch was jammed
...no luck, but It feels like a bad connection somewhere.

My next step is to remove the door panel to check all wires, connectors and switch....what do the experts say?

Thank's a lot in advance and my truck is a 04 Tahoe 5.3.

Last edited:

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 03 but it was the right rear door ajar message. It's a very common problem. The issue is (or was for me) the Body Control Module. It's a small black box right underneath the drivers side dash with multiple connectors leading to it. I could actually get the problem to go away by reaching up and wiggling the connections around. I finally replaced mine earlier this year but you have to get the new one reprogrammed by a dealer. Think I found a new one online for around $150 and the dealer charged me another $120 to reprogram and install.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Damn those aren't cheap. maybe a salvage yard would have one. Maybe possible to cut it out if you have a aftermarket deck?

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually got a used one first but decided not to use it since I found a new one at a reasonable price and I did not want to risk the used one not working right after paying a dealer to program it. If someone wants my used one I will sell it real cheap if I can find it.

OP
OP
Lemmy

Lemmy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank's for replying guys.
Anyone got diagram or picture of the (2004 Tahoe) Big Black door connector to do a ground pin test?
BCM as well?

OP
OP
Lemmy

Lemmy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just to let you know...I remove the door panel, checked & sprayed all the connectors and switch and no more chimes...silence
If IT come back I think it's a loose wire somewhere around the BCM, but so fare so good.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived with the problem for 4 years before replacing the BCM because it really only acted up in the summer months and not everyday. It did get worse eventually which is why I replaced it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401