Dripping from tail pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello i have a 2004 tahoe. It drives fine no codes but every once i a while i see a wet spot on the ground where the tailpipe is. I have never seen anything dripping but obviously it has because its pretty often i notice a wet spot. I want to say its just condensation but none of my other vehicles have ever done this. It does use a small amount of antifreeze over time and a little oil but it has 230k on it. What is the chance antifreeze is coming out the muffler in small amounts? i guess i could put a catch pan there and some how analyze the moisture but its a small amount. if its water or antifreeze not sure what tests i could do.

Thanks
Cody

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Condensation happens in every vehicle exhaust when it’s not fully warmed up. Water is one of the products of combustion.

More a concern is where is your coolant going? Some leaks can be hard to find, especially those that only drip in operation.

A radiator pressure tester is the best tool for finding external leaks.
For testing the head gasket for leaks, a combustion gas tester that attaches to the radiator and checks for exhaust gas in the coolant is the way to go. If coolant is going into the exhaust, then exhaust is also leaking into the coolant.

Neither of these tools are expensive, ~ $50.

Reaction score
Do you have rear Hvac? When running the rear AC the condensate will drip/puddle just behind the passenger rear tire

frofrodawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Tahoe does this. Its not condensation. Theres a black rubber grommet or something thats up above the tailpipe. It drips from there. I have been trying to figure out what it is as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low