Drill bit size for rough country hidden winch mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am installing a badlands 12000 lb winch on my 2001 gmc Yukon XL with a body lift
Is a 5/16” drill bit the correct bit to use this hidden winch mount? I saw a YouTube video but I’m trying to verify the drill bit size before I go to the hardware store and buy 2 of the same drill bits that are probably pointless otherwise anyone can post a YouTube video with false information so I’m here to verify the bit size
IMG_7535.pngIMG_7516.jpegIMG_7538.png

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Four 5/16 bolts about 1/4 of strength needed for 12000# winch.
Find installation instructions/ Parts list on MFG'R website.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Four 5/16 bolts about 1/4 of strength needed for 12000# winch.
Find installation instructions/ Parts list on MFG'R website.
Rough country’s “installation instructions”It comes with the bolts it just doesn’t tell you what size to drill the holes in the frame because technically this kit isn’t meant to go on a SUV model but everyone says it does after drilling the holes are 5/16 bits required for the hole or do I need bigger?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts list above shows 15/32 drill bit and 7/16 bolts.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
YouTube guy replied and I picked up these2 hopefully they work

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am installing a badlands 12000 lb winch on my 2001 gmc Yukon XL with a body lift
Is a 5/16” drill bit the correct bit to use this hidden winch mount? I saw a YouTube video but I’m trying to verify the drill bit size before I go to the hardware store and buy 2 of the same drill bits that are probably pointless otherwise anyone can post a YouTube video with false information so I’m here to verify the bit size
View attachment 420415View attachment 420416View attachment 420417

Don't start with those drill bits. Get a p-r-i-c-k punch (another bad word, I guess) and make an indent with it at the locations where you want you drill the holes. Start with a 1/8" drill bit and make your first holes. Then move up in size to a 1/4" drill bit and enlarge the holes. Last, move up to your final drill bit size, and further expand the holes to their final dimensions. You will end up with precisely aligned holes and they will be clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't start with those drill bits. Get a p-r-i-c-k punch (another bad word, I guess) and make an indent with it at the locations where you want you drill the holes. Start with a 1/8" drill bit and make your first holes. Then move up in size to a 1/4" drill bit and enlarge the holes. Last, move up to your final drill bit size, and further expand the holes to their final dimensions. You will end up with precisely aligned holes and they will be clean.
Yeah , I was gonna pilot with a 3-16 (rivet sized hole) maybe a side step between and then send her home at the needed hole size I just didn’t have a quality 5/16 bit, this is what I’m working withimage.jpg

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 7/16” bolts, 15/32” is the typical clearance hole size.

View attachment 420439
I heard one of the reviews say the bolt/ nut combination isn’t a common sizing I believe I have a 15/32 laying around In the kit but I have to drill 4 holes through thick steel hoping it all works out when it arrives

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar