Door Speaker & Head Unit Suggestions Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jad0001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning, new user here. I really appreciate any and all replies. About two years ago, I bought a 1995 2 door tahoe with a 6.5L in it. I love the truck and it's time for an audio upgrade.

I know I'll likely be advised against this but I'd really like to put the original head unit back in it to keep the truck as original as possible. Is there a way to power the OEM unit with an aftermarket amp to get the boost needed? I'll ultimately want a sub in it as well.

It's been years since I've looked at any audio equipment for auto, any suggestions for what I need to be looking at for door speakers, rear speakers, amp, head unit and sub (8-10" is plenty). Thanks all! I really appreciate the advice, let me know if you have any questions.

Jonathan

sprite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Youre lucky to get the 6.5. An aftermarket amp draws signal from the head unit and sends that signal to the speakers so you can use any head unit you like even factory. For head unit I recommend something like the Blaupunkt Bremen if you want to keep it classy (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-nbVMBoE4a8Y/p_423BREMENS/Blaupunkt-Bremen-SQR-46-DAB.html) It keeps the swag but gives you some modern features. As for which speakers, amps, sub that all depends on your price range. I'd recommend not cheaping out as youll end up swapping it out.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done anything with the speakers yet, but for my head unit, I went with a double din Nacamichi NA3057-M7. It has anroid auto and is pretty easy to use. Search for a video. It took the dash bezel change and some cutting behind the stereo but it wasn't too bad. I will say that in another vehicle I used kicker speakers and I really like those.

Attachments

• 20220509_125546.jpg
    20220509_125546.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 11

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Good morning, new user here. I really appreciate any and all replies. About two years ago, I bought a 1995 2 door tahoe with a 6.5L in it. I love the truck and it's time for an audio upgrade.

I know I'll likely be advised against this but I'd really like to put the original head unit back in it to keep the truck as original as possible. Is there a way to power the OEM unit with an aftermarket amp to get the boost needed? I'll ultimately want a sub in it as well.

It's been years since I've looked at any audio equipment for auto, any suggestions for what I need to be looking at for door speakers, rear speakers, amp, head unit and sub (8-10" is plenty). Thanks all! I really appreciate the advice, let me know if you have any questions.

Jonathan
I had Rockford fosgate T1s in my Silverado it took some trimming to fit but they fit with the factory speaker cover on!
Ran them off a good Fahrenheit radio which could slide out to a touch screen as well which was nice for videos and gps
It was also Bluetooth this was when Bluetooth radios were just becoming a thing and it was super nice not to have to use a auxiliary cord to play music
I eventually put two Rockford fosgate p3 12s under the back seat but beings your in a Tahoe a single Rockford or Memphis 10-12” and a ported box with 800-1000watt amp would be plenty loud for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC