Door Grab handle repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill D

Reaction score
Frustration with the grab handle forced my hand. Someone told me pop stick and adhesive was the driveway repair. I decided to dig in.

Pulled back the loose door outer cover, saw the broken substrate that holds the cover in place at the grab handle.

Broken pieces

DH6.jpg
DH5.jpg

Used JB weld and a small piece of shim stock and tied everything back together to recreate the snap in flange that the cover is supposed to snap in place on and over; then filled the area with a good sized bead of High temperature resistant Permatex Black Silicone

DH3.jpg DH2.jpg

View attachment 213550

Then push the cover into place until you feel it clip over the attachment flange you rigged back together. Once its in place use wire ties every 3/4" or so to secure it tightly in place for a 24 hour full cure.

Clean up with Alcohol works well and although I know there will always be some residual you wont get out, a spray of armor all should make it look good as new. Cut off wire ties next day. I expect this is going to be a permanent repair.

Last edited:

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when i bought mine if this was a common issue since the 07 i owned before didn't have that problem, nor did any of our squad cars. I didnt even think about using epoxy, great idea JB is great stuff!

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frustration with the grab handle forced my hand. Someone told me pop stick and adhesive was the driveway repair. I decided to dig in.

Pulled back the loose door outer cover, saw the broken substrate that holds the cover in place at the grab handle.

Broken pieces

View attachment 213546
View attachment 213547

Used JB weld and a small piece of shim stock and tied everything back together to recreate the snap in flange that the cover is supposed to snap in place on and over; then filled the area with a good sized bead of High temperature resistant Permatex Black Silicone

View attachment 213548 View attachment 213551

View attachment 213550

Then push the cover into place until you feel it clip over the attachment flange you rigged back together. Once its in place use wire ties every 3/4" or so to secure it tightly in place for a 24 hour full cure.

Clean up with Alcohol works well and although I know there will always be some residual you wont get out, a spray of armor all should make it look good as new. Cut off wire ties next day. I expect this is going to be a permanent repair.

Mine is doing the same. So i looked online and it appears that armrest can not be separated from the door panel? So indeed that is the most optimal repair then. Looks difficult if you cant pull it off and work from the side that rolls up.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07-09 front door panels are a little different than the 10-14 years. 07-09 had a smaller grab handle (that doesn't break) than the 10-14, and the lower portion of the panel is different as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07-09 front door panels are a little different than the 10-14 years. 07-09 had a smaller grab handle (that doesn't break) than the 10-14, and the lower portion of the panel is different as well.

Learn something new everyday, never noticed that there was a difference.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had one apart but from the looks of the pictures it would appear there is enough room to stick a piece of steel stock in there fill it with epoxy and call it good forever.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Broken pieces

View attachment 213546
View attachment 213547

View attachment 213548 View attachment 213551

View attachment 213550

How's it holding up, and how does it look now?

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a really thorough repair on YouTube. Someone removed the door panel and fabricated aluminum and steel components that drill into the small amount of sheet metal parts in the door. It's like the most robust version of the popsickle stick mod.

My 2500 has both the driver and passenger doors needing this mod. Aaargh! The actual replacement part could be like $5 but instead you need an entire $400 door panel?! No thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins