Does this look like an oil cooler gasket leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I though was a rear main seal leak might be something easier to fix. Giving it a closer look, this is what I saw :Oil leak.jpg
The arrow points to the gasket ( obviously ) , and the circle is the oil trace. Having oil running down and dripping off the filter also leads me to believe that the gasket is leaking, plus all the dirt/etc. in the general area.
My engine code is "T" - LM7 and when I look up what gasket I need , I am given 2 options: One large oval - 10587093_fel_72435_pri_larg.jpg
or two small ovals -10474826_fel_72462_pri_larg.jpg

Advance Auto says both are exact fits. Before I start this repair, does anyone know which one I should buy ?

Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe it is the gasket as per the pic. To know for sure, clean and dry thoroughly and idle/drive engine and recheck. Buy both gaskets and return the one you don't use. IMO, the two port seems correct.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It looks to me like you have the blockoff plate, so the large oval would be the correct one. If you have oil cooler lines (it doesn't look like you do) the gasket with two holes is for trucks that have those.
LOL...he said oil cooler and I just went with it but I agree with you....two ports for actual oil cooler lines and one port for the block off plate. My 02 had the block off and I used the one port gasket and my 05 has the cooler lines and uses the 2 port gasket.

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. No, my Yukon doesn't have an engine oil cooler. Odd, since it does have the tranny cooler and towing package. Anyways, at least now I know which gasket I need. I'll see if this stops the leak before I move on to the pressure sensor &/or cam sensor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Those block off plates warp over time so when I did mine I had ordered a billet plate to replace it.

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those block off plates warp over time so when I did mine I had ordered a billet plate to replace it.

Does this plate's o-ring take the place of the original gasket?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't know they can warp, perhaps that's why mine was still leaking even after I replaced that gasket. I ended up using Ultra Gray RTV Gasket Maker on it, and it's been leak free ever since. I think that was over 2-3 years ago. I do however, have leaks elsewhere. It looks like the valley cover under the intake is leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE