Does this 2016 Silverado Tires & Wheels Package fit on a 2016 Suburban/Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flagnation

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this nice wheels & tires package that came off a 2016 Silverado; however, since the tire size is so different I would like to know it they would fit my 2016 Suburban before buying them. Can someone confirm; see the details below:

Wheels: 20" Stock Chrome Wheels from a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado
Tires: Zeta Fortrak M/T LT33/12.5/20

Thanks in advance

Here is a picture

Wheels.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

flagnation

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so if I understand the tires wouldn't fit. If so, would it be a good idea to buy smaller tires to make it fit or not recommended? Thanks

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This site has a helpful calculator:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

You can enter two different tire and wheel sizes and the site provides some comparative data.

In this case, the OEM tire size on a 20" Suburban/Silverado wheel is 275/55/20. The wheels you found have 33/12.5/20 tires on them. The site says:

• Diameter goes from 31.9" on OEM to 33" on these (a 3.4% increase). Probably not a concern given the room in the wheelwells.
  • Width goes from 10.8" to 12.5", a 15.7% increase. This could cause some rubbing on a full turn of the wheel, or not. Hard to say.
  • Because of the larger rolling size on these, your speedometer would show you going 70mph when you're actually going 72.4mph.

Figure if those are really OEM Silverado '16 wheels, they will fit your Suburban. The tires could go either way, but if you're getting a good enough price on the wheels it could be worth buying new tires.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM Silverado stock wheels have 5.75" backspacing and 24mm offset. I have 20" black OE Silverado wheels on my 2015 Tahoe LTZ. The tire you reference (12.5" width) will be almost 2" wider than the OE 275/55r20 tire. Running this wide of a tire without changing your offset WILL mean that you are going to be rubbing on the Upper control arm, sway bar, wheel well wall lining or combo of the aforementioned. Also, I'm guessing that the tire manufacturer recommends a wider wheel to mount on than the 9" OE Silverado 20" wheel. My guess is they suggest a 10" width but the 9" falls in the "acceptable range."

Concur that a minimum of 2" front level is required to run a 33" diameter tire without rubbing. I currently have 2.25" front level / 1" rear level and am running 275/60r20. These are the same width as OE tires so I have no rubbing and the 33.23" diameter wheel does not hit my inner wheel wall at all. I tried for 275/65r20, but at 34.09" diameter, these slightly rubbed the wheel well wall on bumps, and certainly in off road conditions.

Remember that running a wider tire on stock wheels will mean that you have the outer edge of the tire sticking out past the fender. Rocks and other debris are very likely to run up the side of your truck...but if that's not a concern, flare those wheels out! I considered 1.75" wheel spacers for a while, to improve the stance width and overall beasty look; however, ultimately decided not to do the spacers because of the outer tire edge sticking so far out from the fender flare/body. With a fairly nice looking black 2015 LTZ, i don't really want the paint and windows all hacked up.
Happy riding!

OP
OP
F

flagnation

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I decided to wait as I didn't want to spend the money on tires now since the ones I have are almost new. Will wait for a better deal.