Does the gas return lines have to be replaced with steel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronzxcvb

Reaction score
One rusted out on my 2000 Yukon and was hoping I could replace it with some 5/16 gas line

OP
OP
Ronzxcvb

Ronzxcvb

Reaction score
Was hoping rubber would be ok
I never worked on a return line and don't know if it has higher pressure so steel would be needed
With what I went through with GM brake lines,
I'd use rubber wherever I could...
once you have to touch the connections on rusted steel lines
I think your better to just replace everything from the get go
and splicing in new steel gas line would be a real headache

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Headache or not you should use the same as what came on it from the factory. There is always a reason it is that way.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its apples to apples.
But everyone with a 12v Cummins switches to rubber when the metal fails. And the metal , depending where you live, always fails.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Rubber fails too. It's cheaper and easier but it does fail eventually. Anything with fuel in it should stick to what the engineer started with. Again, IMO. I don't like to sacrifice safety for easy.

chevy529

Reaction score
Rubber would be fine if you use thought in your routing. But use good quality parts. Thick wall, steel braid, crimp fit ends. Outlast the vehicle and more than adequate. The assumption most of us make about OEM parts, is that it is about safety. That's rarely true. It's about cost, and by cost I mean time in manufacturing. It's quicker to put on a rigid part than a floppy one. Multiply that time by 100-200,000 vehicles and you get my point.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You can if you need to get it up and running as a temp fix As long as the lines are rated for fuel. Eventually you should replace to oem spec

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is the copper nickel type of line. Used in most european car brake lines. Easy to work with takes standard fittings, is widely available and not expensive like it used to be. It can take brakeline pressure, so would be OK whatever pressure your fuel lines are using. Definitely does not rust out>