Mystery disconnected vacuum lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akpablo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, this is my first post here - apologies if this question has been asked before. Please chime in on etiquette or anything else to make this post TYF-worthy.

I just replaced the 4WD encoder motor assembly on my 03 Tahoe ZR71 5.3 FFV - haven't tested it yet, but I found 2 hoses that route up over the transfer case/transmission. They could be vacuum lines, but I can't figure out where the other ends are, or where one of them should connect. Both appear to be plugged at the tail end, and one looks like it's leaking:

1698882569523.png

2 hoses and bracket.jpgDisconnected hose and 90 with o-ring.jpg

Let me know what else you need - appreciate the help!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

The one you say is leaking is likely just wet and oily. You can remove the vents and clean and reinstall.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By the way, when you reinstall the lines after cleaning the vents, make sure to have them back in their "up high" connections. They need to be higher than the component they are venting.

OP
OP
A

akpablo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
Ah, thank you - I'll get the snow off and post a few pics in the next day or two. I'll follow your example above.

OP
OP
A

akpablo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

A few truck pics, will replace with better ones once it's mobile again...1701736213227.jpeg1701736218996.jpeg1701736228058.jpeg

OP
OP
A

akpablo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: Still need to reconnect the transfer case vent line (3rd pic, first post), but now not only is the 4x4 selector panel unlit, but I can't get any of the gears to engage. I can move the shift lever through all the gears and it sounds like it's going to engage, but it doesn't.

Another thing about the encoder replacement: I had not secured the encoder wire loom the previous time I checked on it this summer, so the encoder wires rested on the front driveshaft and rubbed through the loom and several of the wires. I did see the 4x4 selector switch lights flickering, but wasn't sure what to do then, and let it go. This wire rubbing probably shorted out and/or damaged the the TCCM. I still had the original working 4x4 selector switch from a previous repair attempt; I swapped that out, still no lights on the switch. I haven't put a multimeter to any of the encoder pins yet, but confirmed the pins were all clean and the harness was snapped in firmly. Battery had run below 12V, confirmed it's now fully charged at 12.6V, truck starts up fine otherwise.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Suburban the wires to the encoder motor severed when I bought it. I think they must have catched the driveshaft.

Here's a thread of my issue and the fix. I hope it helps:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo