Bleeping QD lines to evap / fuel system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took apart the Vent hose. VERY easy with a heat gun. I'm trying to spec out quick connect fittings though. I notice if I buy on eBay they are literally a fraction the cost of parts store doorman.

I think the vent hose is a 5/8" SAE right angle QC. Not exactly sure if I spec right though? Anybody know??

DETAILS:

Male (hose side) 16mm OD 90degree to Female (canister side) 16mm ID

I think these are the size? https://www.ebay.com/itm/174221824731

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah hell... I went to reinstall everything and despite thinking I glued that nipple on well it broke off again. I also filled my tank up with gas and got the WORST mileage since I bought the truck (I've logged every tank) just under 12MPG.

I'm not sure what's up. Super annoying. After I filled it up I felt the tank around sending unit, nothing. Nothing around evaporative lines or canister either. No engine codes and no gas smell. No clue why I'm getting such horrific mileage. But it does have a gas smell sometimes.

Meathead16

Reaction score
Following.

I too had to replace my charcoal canistet because of that #$%m nipple breaking off. I swear everything I touch on this truck that's plastic just crumbles in my hands. I'm convinced she was left sitting somewhere in the desert to bake in the sun for a couple years unprotected. Gotta love AZ. I digress though...

Have you checked out the fuel filler hose? I have this issue where when I'm filling the tank the smell of gas is horrendous, it's as if I'm pumping it straight onto the ground. I haven't looked into it too much yet but I feel like the filler tube/cap base flap assembly is to blame. Sometimes gas will even leak out onto the gas cap area. Once in s great while ill smell gss while driving, but almost akways smell it upon startup...

How's your fuel pressure regulator? If you pull the vacuum line off of it and smell it and if it smells like gas it needs replacing as gas shouldn't be crossing the diaphragm. If the vacuum line has a leak, or the fitting is cracked, it could be letting out the gas smell. That was at least part of the problem on mine. When I first touched them t'o check them, they all crumbled in my hand. I used a small section of ¼ pcv hose or something, I forget, it was thick like rad hoses and fit real snug over the nipples on the intake and fpr, put smaller hose over the plastc tubing that fit snug a decent length, then the larger tubing snug on to that. Sealed it up good.

Still figuring out the rest of the issue though

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Meathead16 thanks! Yeah I cry when I realize the Chassis & drivetrain on these GMT800s is KILLER awesome but the rest of the truck is a heaping pile of pure crap. It's been an uphill battle keeping from disentigrating since I bought it. However, that said, I bought mine in Rio Rico by AZ Mexico Border and guy literally parked it next to the SUN outside.

My issue is similar, I occasionally smell gas on start-up. My guess has been it's because I'm in open loop with PCM fuel controller. However, sometimes it's REALLY strong almost like I poured a tinge of gas on the ground. I don't ever smell it while driving though thank god. Sorry to hear that.

What year is your truck? Sad thing is I have a 2001 and they seem to have changed the evap canister design shortly after 2001. Long story short, the short run / evap design on my truck cost a bloody fortune to replace versus like $50 for the newer design :( So I really do want to fix the canister. I don't think they really go bad unless you get them wet or completely soaked with fuel.

What I've done so far:

- Evap lines, need rebuilt, all Quick Connects are busted up.

- Fuel filler - it's good, no issues. Simple ring clamp connection, easy enough to adjust / fix if necessary.

- Fuel Pump & Tank - I replaced entire fuel sending unit. When tank was down I cleaned and inspected it. Tank is a quality piece and still like new, along with all connections on top. I've since doubly inspected, by feeling top of tank and everything is in perfect order on top of tank.

- Fuel injectors - Completely took apart rail, cleaned and visual inspection (I have a built up 6.0L) I swapped with the E85 injectors I don't recall what that engine is called. One thing I never did was check fuel pressure / the regulator. I had ordered a fuel pressure gauge and company sent me the wrong thing long story... but I definately need to check fuel pressure. Otherwise, I've tuned the fuel for new build and it's spot on w/ Wideband O2 and narrowband.

- Fuel regulator - the vacuum line was broken when I did my injectors. I need to do the smell test! That's a great idea. I have since installed a new vacuum line.

- Evap canister - damn thing. I could scream, yeah the nipple (male fitting) for tank line broke clean off. I glued it back but no luck. I need to order a male fitting of that size, then cut them at a point where there's some extra before the lip for QC lock... then take a slightly larger diameter hose of some kind and just glue the two together with JB weld. I may actually reinforce all the fittings on the evap like that. Then get some quality quick disconnects. The ones from the factory, and upon further inspection, doorman is same style, are complete CRAP. If you are lucky you can get screwdriver to unlock them (QC tool doesn't fit). And the finger release design doesn't work. The lines themselves are great quality otherwise.

Eldiablo

Reaction score
Spray with wd40 to get any grit outta there and lube the oring seal. Feel on top of your tank. Is it wet with fuel? Sure you dont have a leaking fuel pump module oring seal? Or rotted out retainer for fuel pump module?
Make yourself a smoke machine makes this kind of repair much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz