Does removing V4 hinder mileage THAT much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I eliminated mine when I did all this and still get 18.5 in the city and usually 21-22 on the freeway same as with the DOD

K&N cold air, American Racing headers and y pipe, Corsa Sport exhaust,Comp Cams cam which Ill have to post specs later,Comp Cams 29618 springs, rocker trunnion upgrade and 7.4 hardened pushrods, GM LS7 lifters and LS2 timing set, ARP headbolts, all GM gaskets and with a tune it made 340 to the rear tires. I think stock its like 250 or something at the tires.

Tell us more , maybe start another thread. Plenty of interest from me esp. on the before and after sheets. I'm out for the torque of it all.

O/P I apologize for off topic in your post.

OP
OP
TahoeTruk

TahoeTruk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tell us more , maybe start another thread. Plenty of interest from me esp. on the before and after sheets. I'm out for the torque of it all.

O/P I apologize for off topic in your post.
How daaaaare you?! Haha jk! I'd be interested too

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Diablo Tune on my 16 Yukon 5.3. I'm running 93 and on the highway at a steady 65-70 I'm getting 22-23..averaging 16.5 in town. No comparison as to the throttle response and smoothness of operation.

Honestly...I think the General came up with the V8/V4 scheme to boost the mileage in the "Lab Rat" environment to keep the DOT/EPA bureaucrats satisfied with the corporate mileage average...I don't think it makes any measurable difference in the real world and is just another system with sensors to screw up down the road somewhere.

Reaction score
I eliminated mine when I did all this and still get 18.5 in the city and usually 21-22 on the freeway same as with the DOD

K&N cold air, American Racing headers and y pipe, Corsa Sport exhaust,Comp Cams cam which Ill have to post specs later,Comp Cams 29618 springs, rocker trunnion upgrade and 7.4 hardened pushrods, GM LS7 lifters and LS2 timing set, ARP headbolts, all GM gaskets and with a tune it made 340 to the rear tires. I think stock its like 250 or something at the tires.
How does it drive with all those upgrades and around how much would it cost for what you did?

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id like mine gone but I do not want to get a tune and run premium fuel. Where I live in a lot of places its .50 -.70 higher than regular. More than the extra MPG id save would be lost in fuel costs.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to use premium fuel with the proper tune.
My 2006 had a in person BB tune for premium fuel , I used nothing but regular fuel with no problem at all. That 5.3 in the SSV runs very strong. Drivability is nothing but excellent on the 2006.

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just remember reading that blackbear tunes for premium is why I said that. So if they tuned it for that i figured that meant to get the performance and increase you needed to run that.

Last edited:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this V4? Sorry for the ignorance. Is there another thread for the removal of it? Thanks!

Hulln1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't get to any black bear event where I live. Is there a special tuner I can buy, one better than another, and tune it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK