Does anyone know where this wire is from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha when i was first getting into automotive i got tossed to the wolves and was given a 360 to do headers on. the rear manifold bolts are sometimes punched right into the water jacket. so imagine a kid on the job taking a bolt out to suddenly get sprayed by coolant where there normally isnt coolant.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha when i was first getting into automotive i got tossed to the wolves and was given a 360 to do headers on. the rear manifold bolts are sometimes punched right into the water jacket. so imagine a kid on the job taking a bolt out to suddenly get sprayed by coolant where there normally isnt coolant.
MOPAR - always exciting!

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expect to lose a couple gallons coolant. It's a tapered thread and the new sensor I received had a sealant on the threads already. I changed mine a couple years back. Get a Delco. I got a cheap one and it's way off. I should probably put the original one back in.

PS.
Truck could probably use a coolant flush anyway. The coolant is rated at 5 yrs, but since I had issues I've been changing a couple gallons a year, when it's not leaking out on its own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roberto Ruiz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got around to replacing the sensor. Thanks to the advice of 96-2D-Hoe I was prepared for the coolant leakage and managed not to lose much. I wasn't able to test if the sensor pertained to the temperature gauge though. I turned the truck on and left it idling for less than 5 minutes. The gauge didn't move. I would've left it longer but I ran into a lil problem. As it was idling, after about 4 minutes, I started hearing a light stutter. Just barely noticeable but it was there. I then saw smoke coming from the tail pipe, I would say it was somewhere in between white and gray. And smoke from the air filter. The ribbed part that connects the filter to the air box doesn't seal completely and thats where I saw the smoke coming out. Any idea what can be causing the smoke? First pic is the loose plug fixed second is where the smoke was coming from.IMG_20200717_175028.jpg IMG_20200717_200949.jpg

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is it's not good. What does the air filter look like?

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just the cold air intake housing. The only thing that would normally feed into that is outside air and a breather pipe from the engine. You sure it's not just crap burning off where it's not been running?
How many miles on your engine?

OP
OP
R

Roberto Ruiz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am hoping that's all it is, the odometer reads 250,000 I don't know if the engine has ever been rebuilt.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it is just that, or some moisture. But it does look a bit greasy and neglected so... I don't want to go there.

Hopefully a real mechanic will chime in.

These trucks need a fair amount of basic maintenance to keep them running nicely. What's the history? Did you just buy it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard A