Do these trucks burn oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my 01 yukon xl is burning oil. It seems like it needs about 1 quart every 5k (low oil light comes). It has 102k on it and I just changed the oil to 10w-30 Royal Purple. I'm tracking oil consumption and changing the oil every 5k-7.5k miles.

BTW, I have not noticed any blue smoke and there is zero leaks. I'm just wondering if oil use is normal on these trucks.

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
Yes, every engine will burn oil.

1 quart between oil changes is pretty standard across the board. Mine burns about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles.

Now that you've switch to a 10w-30 you may see a slight dip in fuel economy, but slightly less oil burned.

OP
OP
D

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, every engine will burn oil.

1 quart between oil changes is pretty standard across the board. Mine burns about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles.

Now that you've switch to a 10w-30 you may see a slight dip in fuel economy, but slightly less oil burned.

This truck has had 10-30 in it since before I bought it. The previous owner took it to a quick lube place for oil and they never use 5w-30. So I shouldn't see a dip but I didn't think it mattered much. Maybe I'll do 5w-30 next time.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5w will probably cause you to burn more oil. But you might pick up some MPG.

scarpi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 02 Yukon has about 44,000 on it and it does not burn oil. I know thats not many miles. I would think that as the miles pile on, it would be normal for any vehicle to start to burn some oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz