Pulley question on 2014 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now, I have the duralast pulley running fine with the shim and hardware from the recent pulley. I do hear a little chirping noise barely noticeable thinks it’s my alternator pulley or something.
I ask myself why does the GM OE one cost $18 more even though it looks identical to Gates and ACDelco Gold? Is there a better bearing inside or just paying the General more money to feel good? I honestly don't know. I bought the GM OE.

Well, I think it would be good to put the ACDelco on your shelf and if this one acts up swap it out, or get the ACD and return the other.

The one you bought has a sealed bearing. However, it is not protected further from the elements like the Gates design. My Yukon's original went 177K.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed all my belts, pulleys, tensioner from local NAPA 4 yrs & 55k miles ago and they're still going strong.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more note on this: the bearing is sealed and does not need a washer or shield in order to protect it. I have a non-oe idler pulley on my 2007 that I got from somewhere in a pinch because the one that was on it was making noise when I bought the truck. It had a different pulley design that was flatter in front so the flange washer that was on the original looks kinda silly sitting there providing essentially no protection to the bearing, but 40K later and it's still running silent with no play in it.

1684338772119.png

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back then I also installed a new amazon 160amp 8301N alternator and water pump, again still going strong
45F21D50-2A6B-42EC-B4E7-BCF0557A5460.jpeg

Here’s my new pulley with the washer in the front. The new pulley is a bit more cylindrical on the front unlike the acdelco one that’s more pitted where the spacer goes. . But the spacer I notice, helps the nut sit in place on the front instead of sliding around on the bearing.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ask myself why does the GM OE one cost $18 more even though it looks identical to Gates and ACDelco Gold? Is there a better bearing inside or just paying the General more money to feel good? I honestly don't know. I bought the GM OE.
My GM pulley came with new bolt and spacers etc. Guess thats the $18. As Russia likes to say "Trust only trusted sources"
B1EDE6AD-8C9F-486D-A61B-A7E0445FA164.jpeg

just kiddin.. Since it is a cheap, simple, and easy to access part.. I wont turn my nose up at you if you installed a cheapy. :)

Laser engraved in Canada with Chinese parts it says..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of the oem idler pulley's have varying quality I replaced one a few years ago and the finish wore off in nothing flat and I suspected it was getting noisy so I later replaced it with another oem and the finish on it took over 2 years to finally start wearing off and it is not making any noise

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some of the oem idler pulley's have varying quality I replaced one a few years ago and the finish wore off in nothing flat and I suspected it was getting noisy so I later replaced it with another oem and the finish on it took over 2 years to finally start wearing off and it is not making any noise
Finish was gone on my previous oe one as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99TahoeTruckster

Latest posts