Do some dealerships let you buy engine cores?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So some dealerships let you walk in and buy an engine core from them?

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AKA if they get a truck that spun a bearing in a 5.3, buy that engine from them? From what I understand, GM is pretty strict about wanting anything that was repaired under warranty back to use for quality control inspections, aka figure out what failed and why. Outside of warranty, I don't know much. I've heard stories about people buying them, but usually it's "from a buddy who works at the dealer".

OP
OP
W

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew someone that worked there. My 6.2 has a knock that comes and goes. I always expect the worse so now im trying to save up to build another for my yukon. Haven't really gotten a chance to get under the truck but sounds like it might be a wrist pi . Really need it to to be at 100 precent. Only bought it because I had another child and needed something built like a tank. I think I made the wrong decision now. Oh well. ..

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I wish I knew someone that worked there. My 6.2 has a knock that comes and goes. I always expect the worse so now im trying to save up to build another for my yukon. Haven't really gotten a chance to get under the truck but sounds like it might be a wrist pi . Really need it to to be at 100 precent. Only bought it because I had another child and needed something built like a tank. I think I made the wrong decision now. Oh well. ..

Comes and goes??? Can you elaborate?

I used to have a 454 that when you cranked it in the morning it sounded like it had a rod knocking but after warmed up it was quiet.... turned out to be torque converter bolts were a little loose.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with checking the TC bolts, had that happen to a buddy of mine on a different car, made a terrible racket, they thought the engine was toast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen