Do LT headers really make that much of difference on a 6.2 torque build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headers have always gained power everywhere. They are the best bolton you can do. The gains in a truck 6.2 are the same as the car. Of course the acceleration gains are half because the weight is doubled. Whether that's worth the $1600 is subjective.

This dyno below gains 53 ft/lbs.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None
It isn’t opinion. I’ve seen the dyno graphs. What evidence do you have?

None except common sense. Why put LT on a SUV? I don't want to race it....LT are great for tuning to a higher rpm power curve. Just ike I won't put a 4000 rpm stall converter in my Denali...If you want to drag race then that's great.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice big gains everywhere ! Was that before or after the heads/cam install ?

Headers have always gained power everywhere. They are the best bolton you can do. The gains in a truck 6.2 are the same as the car. Of course the acceleration gains are half because the weight is doubled. Whether that's worth the $1600 is subjective.

This dyno below gains 53 ft/lbs.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None

None except common sense. Why put LT on a SUV? I don't want to race it....LT are great for tuning to a higher rpm power curve. Just ike I won't put a 4000 rpm stall converter in my Denali...If you want to drag race then that's great.

No, sir. That is not true at all. Now if you put 2” primaries on a N/A engine that will hurt low end a little but 1 3/4” headers absolutely do not hurt low end at all. Literally just watch the video in the post above yours. Does that look like it only made power on the top end? That sucker made power for the entire run and that’s on a stock truck! It actually gained more torque on the low end than the high end. Stall is dependent on the cam choice, not headers.

Mild VVT cam, long tubes, and a good tune will result in a very drivable and usable truck with power gains everywhere.

Last edited:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice big gains everywhere ! Was that before or after the heads/cam install ?

No idea, this was just a youtube video I found. But I have tuned and done headers on tons of 5.7-6.0 LS engines and they always pick up massive low end torque. It's the exhaust scavenging that does this, there is a science to longtubes. I wouldn't bother with shorties ever. Will not outflow factory manifolds + you get the annoying ticking sound from the thinner walls.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, sir. That is not true at all. Now if you put 2” primaries on a N/A engine that will hurt low end a little but 1 3/4” headers absolutely do not hurt low end at all. Literally just watch the video in the post above yours. Does that look like it only made power on the top end? That sucker made power for the entire run and that’s on a stock truck! It actually gained more torque on the low end than the high end. Stall is dependent on the cam choice, not headers.

Mild VVT cam, long tubes, and a good tune will result in a very drivable and usable truck with power gains everywhere.

Correct

I will post the results in my 6.2 thread once this exhaust thing is done.

OP
OP

73TA

Reaction score
Well, that dyno sheet sure told a story that is hard to argue with. Not sure how much a tune helped over stock exhaust 6.2. Looks like I will definitely get a set of long tubes. Just need to find that "perfect" cam.

91RS, looking forward to your results.

I probably won't start my build for another month or so. Bought the Esky with the bad lifter, so I guess I do have a little money to do invest into without being really upside down on it. I paid $3200 for it, maybe that was to much, going to find out when I tear it down and see if there is any other damage. Haven't actually heard it run yet, need to pick it up (7 hours away from where I live) The woman who owned said that her mechanic said that it needs a new motor, because it has 200K miles on it.

Mike

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is already done but I didn't have any dyno graphs to post since I don't bother with dynos because the results aren't that accurate unless you can run on the same dyno before and after in the same weather conditions. I used a Comp Cams 156-401-13 that my tuner recommended with the phaser limiter, new phaser, HD LS2 timing chain and dampener, new lifters, PSI 1511 springs, BTR hardened pushrods, CHE trunnion upgrade, Melling 10355, ARP head bolts, and L96 injectors. I already had ARH catted 1 3/4" long tubes with a Corsa Touring on the truck. It feels fantastic, it actually turned out better than I expected. Keeping the VVT was the right choice because it has power everywhere.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that dyno sheet sure told a story that is hard to argue with. Not sure how much a tune helped over stock exhaust 6.2. Looks like I will definitely get a set of long tubes. Just need to find that "perfect" cam.

91RS, looking forward to your results.

I probably won't start my build for another month or so. Bought the Esky with the bad lifter, so I guess I do have a little money to do invest into without being really upside down on it. I paid $3200 for it, maybe that was to much, going to find out when I tear it down and see if there is any other damage. Haven't actually heard it run yet, need to pick it up (7 hours away from where I live) The woman who owned said that her mechanic said that it needs a new motor, because it has 200K miles on it.

Mike

If you paid $3200 for the Escalade, that is an absolute bargain. I wish I could find a decent GMT900 with a blown motor, what a bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645