Do LT headers really make that much of difference on a 6.2 torque build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73TA

Reaction score
Do LT headers really make that much of difference on a 6.2? I realize that these trucks, that should be built with torque in mind, not the quarter mile time. I need to replace a lifter in my 6.2 Esky. I was considering installing LT's along with a truck cam during the build.

Will I really gain that much, if it only 10-15 HP or torque in the mid range, not sure if it really worth the hassle, expense and the "maintenance" (exhaust leaks, possible cracking, poor fitment, etc.) of having long tubes.

You may have seen my other post in the general engine section for these EBay headers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-...Stainless-Steel-Headers-w-Y-Pipe/232936388772

Mike

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course you'll have gains, it's no different than any other LS engine. Longtube headers will pick up a lot of low to mid range torque. If you look at a dyno graph between long tubes and shorties, the peak power may be close but the mid range is significantly fattened up with longtubes.

Since you're installing a cam, the gain will be even higher. But definitely go with a catted system, you will regret the catless one with a camshaft trust me on that. Also, I'd go with a quality set or stick to stock.

The downsides are:

1) More pronounced engine noise in the cabin
2) Cats won't filter as well
3) Catless with a cam is horrible, don't do it. It not only smells, but if that smell gets near you it will stick to your clothes all day.

If I were you (and didn't want to drop 1600 on catted headers), I'd go with a VVT cam that has a wide int/exh split (at least 12 degrees) and stick with stock exhaust. You'll make another 40-50 hp and the car will drive the same.

OP
OP

73TA

Reaction score
LS1FRC, that is also one of the questions, to run a VVT cam or not, Don't have DOD so that is not an issue. Don't mind doing the longtubes, going to have the motor out anyway. Definitely not going to spend $1600 on exhaust or for that matter, probably not even $800. Maybe if I wrap the headers it might help keep the cabin quieter.

Still looking for a cam, I will tune from HP Tuners.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No these motors like shorty headers or just use the OE manifolds and put the money into Blackbear tune.

shorty headers are worthless. (unless you may run turbos)

id either stick w/ stock manifolds or go LT's. if you go LT's, dont mess w/ fleabay ones. at least get speed engineering or texas speed ones.... if not kooks or stainless works.

there are multiple posts here & on other forums, where peeps w/ LTs, CAI, catback & tune on a 6.2 were getting in the 40's range for HP/TQ at peak.

should be in the 20's HP range w/ just LTs. then more w/ tune & more w/ cam

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do LT headers really make that much of difference on a 6.2? I realize that these trucks, that should be built with torque in mind, not the quarter mile time. I need to replace a lifter in my 6.2 Esky. I was considering installing LT's along with a truck cam during the build.

Will I really gain that much, if it only 10-15 HP or torque in the mid range, not sure if it really worth the hassle, expense and the "maintenance" (exhaust leaks, possible cracking, poor fitment, etc.) of having long tubes.

You may have seen my other post in the general engine section for these EBay headers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-...Stainless-Steel-Headers-w-Y-Pipe/232936388772

Mike

Absolutely they do, especially with a cam. The only time you have issues like that is with cheapos. Spend the money and buy ARH headers and you can install them and forget about them. Those headers you linked will likely give you all those problems and might only last a a couple years. You will really limit your power potential with the stock manifolds and cats.

As they say, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Buy once, cry once.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody has their opinions. I should have been more clear. LT headers are a waste of money on a 5500 lb SUV. The OE manifolds work well. On a 3400 lb Camaro LT are great....

The OE muffler does constrict especially if you SC the engine which I want to do.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LS1FRC, that is also one of the questions, to run a VVT cam or not, Don't have DOD so that is not an issue. Don't mind doing the longtubes, going to have the motor out anyway. Definitely not going to spend $1600 on exhaust or for that matter, probably not even $800. Maybe if I wrap the headers it might help keep the cabin quieter.

Still looking for a cam, I will tune from HP Tuners.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

I am doing my first VVT cam, have another thread in this section about my 6.2 swap. If you want, you can wait to see my results. I have HPTuners as well and have tuned for years, but all 3 bolt cam stuff never the VVT stuff. I don't want to make a recommendation before having firsthand experience with it.

From what I read, you'll gain an extra 20-30 ft/lbs of torque downlow with the heavy advance. I specced myself a custom cam, 215/215 115+7 then you retard the timing as the rpms approach redline.

When I added even a baby static 3 bolt cam (206/212) and deleted vvt in my 5.3, the lowend got sluggish, so for the 6.2 I made sure to keep VVT.

Also agree on not buying the ebay headers, at minimum go with the better chinese stuff that TSP sells.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody has their opinions. I should have been more clear. LT headers are a waste of money on a 5500 lb SUV. The OE manifolds work well. On a 3400 lb Camaro LT are great....

The OE muffler does constrict especially if you SC the engine which I want to do.

It isn’t opinion. I’ve seen the dyno graphs. What evidence do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts