Do I need better than OEM brakes on Suburban 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bondservant2

Reaction score
The rotors on the new-to-me 2011 Suburban 3/4-ton are rusted. I’m thinking of going with drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads. Vehicle is going to be a family vacation hauler and although we currently don’t have a camper to tow, we might get something in the future - nothing really big. The GM parts guy said he doesn’t think I need anything more heavy duty than what would be stock and it probably has ceramic pads on it from the factory. What do you folks think...? I also asked about the Police Pkg parts and he said he didn’t know how to look them up except via VIN and still thought the factory items on the 2500 were HD enough.

I was looking at the BrakeMotive line on eBay - I read they are a division of PowerStop. Some of their stuf gets a bit pricey but some seems reasonable.....

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just buy real powerstop stuff on rockauto. it doesn't sound like you need hd brakes but i dont like rusty brakes either so i suggest oem grade brakes with thier geomet rotors for rust protection.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My and other nnbs have rotors that acquired rust too. I hate it but it doesn’t cause any problems. I have a 1500 Yukon and tow a 4500lb boat regularly with stock brakes and pads but if you’re going to upgrade for sure get the good stuff

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rotors on the new-to-me 2011 Suburban 3/4-ton are rusted. I’m thinking of going with drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads. Vehicle is going to be a family vacation hauler and although we currently don’t have a camper to tow, we might get something in the future - nothing really big. The GM parts guy said he doesn’t think I need anything more heavy duty than what would be stock and it probably has ceramic pads on it from the factory. What do you folks think...? I also asked about the Police Pkg parts and he said he didn’t know how to look them up except via VIN and still thought the factory items on the 2500 were HD enough.

I was looking at the BrakeMotive line on eBay - I read they are a division of PowerStop. Some of their stuf gets a bit pricey but some seems reasonable.....

You don't need drilled and slotted rotors and the factory replacements are coated to keep from rusting. There's no police parts for the 2500s that I'm aware of.

Plug your VIN in here and have a look:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

There are quite a few guys on here with 2500s, why don't you ask them too? @intheburbs @avalonandl @jsoltren @bfourman @Derick @minytrker @Matt_ @DaRosa218 @Dasanii19 @MichaelSE

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I don't think you need new rotors. I have the stock rotors with ceramic pads and they feel pretty strong to me. I haven't towed more than a few thousand lbs, and I haven't towed down a mountain yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it at all.

By the way, welcome. Always good to have another GMT900 2500 owner on the forum. There aren't many of us, but we're growing!

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you NEED anything heavier duty than stock? Probably not. If you’re going to spend the money, why not upgrade?

1f3ca71288d92e1f2f021948e753c3d1.jpg

30e8254c3ab81e08d23f0e7e18c52692.jpg

BrakeMotive on eBay, right around $100 per axle for ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors. They send “House Label” pads but they are unlabeled PowerStop.

I pulled my Jeep to KY last weekend and had to do a couple emergency stops. The truck brakes worked flawlessly and didn’t fade through mountain driving. This is the 3rd or 4th vehicle I have used BrakeMotive parts on and I have always been impressed.

Are they dusty? See the finger swipe below; that’s after 800 miles of towing. Could be worse.

1f8290f158801cf7a66c29a668141909.jpg

Last edited:

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never felt "underbraked" with my 2500. I pull an 8600-lb travel trailer, obviously with its own brakes, and I also pull a 3500-lb enclosed cargo trailer that does not have brakes.

I've put 90,000 hard miles on this truck, and still have plenty of meat on the pads, and it stops sure and smooth.

This truck has been our vacation hauler for my family of 5 since 2013. When we're loaded up with the trailer, our GVW is right around 16,000 lbs.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now i also have to admit im like bfourman. but thats not everyones bag of chips. do you need upgraded brakes and rotors no probably not. if we are specifically speaking about upgrades for brakes i have powerstop z36 with thier powder coated calipers. do i need them no absolutely not and ive done some towing before and after having them. ive really only noticed 1 difference but honestly its the best place to notice them. the OH SH** moments you just straight stand on that f***ing pedal and grit your teeth. in moments like that with an older truck and i dont feel any brake fade and i dont kill someone.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Wagner oex pads on my 2500.....work great. No complaints and they were cost effective.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never felt "underbraked" with my 2500. I pull an 8600-lb travel trailer, obviously with its own brakes, and I also pull a 3500-lb enclosed cargo trailer that does not have brakes.

I've put 90,000 hard miles on this truck, and still have plenty of meat on the pads, and it stops sure and smooth.

This truck has been our vacation hauler for my family of 5 since 2013. When we're loaded up with the trailer, our GVW is right around 16,000 lbs.

3500# enclosed and it doesn't have its own brakes? I find that odd... Usually a single axle enclosed usually doesn't go much over 14' and probably only weighs 1200-1500#...you go bigger than that and it's tandem. And geez most dexter 3k axles are already outfitted with brakes so what gives on 3500# unloaded (I assume) without brakes??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC