DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ludvball

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the Spectra CAI. My concern was the heat soak. Would spraying the outside of the tube with Undercoating help with heat soak? I like the fan idea. Do you have any pics?

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the Spectra CAI. My concern was the heat soak. Would spraying the outside of the tube with Undercoating help with heat soak? I like the fan idea. Do you have any pics?

by undercoating, do you mean something like a spray on sealant? i would be worried about ambient temperature under the hood melting it or something and causing damage, or possibly even retaining hear. ive had my k&n filter and tube in for about 2 yrs now and havent had any problems, and i spend alot of time stuck in highway traffic, and thats with the cheesy chrome tube that i would think would retain heat more over the plastic one.

wouldnt worry about it if i was you:fishing1:

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score

i have a spectre looking CAI now that i paid $48 for on ebay brand new and its awesome i have data logged numbers to prove it decreased air intake temp 11 degrees celcius i can post link to the one i bought if your interested, so i wouldnt worry about heat soaking, and this CAI cost less than my k&n drop in filter

Reaction score
hey guys and gals, this is my first post on here and also my first mod.
I picked up my hoe bout 2 weeks ago and it was my first chevy, i came form a being a ford man to loving my chevy even more.
I did this about a week ago and what a difference! the chevy motors already have a nice intake growl but this sounds way laouder than my f150 with a k&n intake. i love it, i put like 20-25 holes in my box, 10 1" and a bunch of little ones, much better throttle response all over the rpm range and a pretty mean sound. a hell of alot better than spending 300+ on a name brand intake, big props to whoever figured this out!

Factorywhip

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a spectre looking CAI now that i paid $48 for on ebay brand new and its awesome i have data logged numbers to prove it decreased air intake temp 11 degrees celcius i can post link to the one i bought if your interested, so i wouldnt worry about heat soaking, and this CAI cost less than my k&n drop in filter

Post the link

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did this, but has anyone else noticed a decent drop in fuel economy with this? Driving normally I mean, I just did a 400 mile trip this past weekend and usually can get away with about 340 miles to a tank. With this I seem to be getting much less..

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
That's pretty much the price you pay for more power. Mine went down on acceleration, although at speeds it seemed to improve a bit.

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I figured too...on acceleration it would go down...but at speed is weird mine seemed to drop. Although Im also wondering if its bad o2 sensors as I've been getting an intermittent code. Im replacing tonight and will let you all know what I determine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exceltheink

Latest posts