DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no way to escape the math: More air = more fuel.

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look into that, thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

So will a new air filter cause a drop in MPG?

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
I also did this, but has anyone else noticed a decent drop in fuel economy with this? Driving normally I mean, I just did a 400 mile trip this past weekend and usually can get away with about 340 miles to a tank. With this I seem to be getting much less..

Do you live in a cold climate? Could be the winter fuel decreasing your mileage and the timing may just be a coincidence.

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that too...but for example now I am roughly getting 100 miles to half a tank. I changed out my O2's and still no change, although I am beginning to wonder if opening up the air box some how screwed with my MAF? Supposed to get my long time fuel readings taken next week.

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this mod a few days ago, and its great. Yukon sounds great and she has more pep, especially after 2000 rpm. Only thing i did different was drill holes on the bottom plate under the cutout of the airbox instead of having a big hole there. With all the snow and rain we get up here i didnt want to take any risks with water or debris. As far as the mpg, the first day i did notice she was going through it a little quicker, but now she settled down. I think the pcm has to relearn and adapt for a few miles. I took her to work which involves city and hwy driving and now she is all good. Great cheap mod. I love the Forum. Great tips and advice.

Attachments

• 2010 pics 600.jpg
    2010 pics 600.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 124

bradmps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will this mess up my Dual Flowmaster exhaust noise?

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. It will hurt gas milage when you bury the gas pedal, sure, but if you don't drive like an *******, it should improve gas milage. Either way you win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exceltheink