DIY Garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The more I get involved with my 2002 Tahoe the more I miss having a garage to work on it myself. I live at and manage a self storage facility and do have a covered vaulted ceiling car port next to my home and a small 5x10 unit that opens up on the carport but I still can't do much there. The owner does not mind simple maintenance work but major tear down projects are a no no.

Do any of you use a DIY garage in your town? There are none here and when I bring it up to people they tell me they would use one if was available. Of course whether they actually would use one is a guess at best.

With my 35 years experience in the field I know I could outfit one but am also aware of the costs. Has anyone seen them in their town and then seen them fold up for lack of business? I have some extra money and am feeling an itch to do something like this.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I get involved with my 2002 Tahoe the more I miss having a garage to work on it myself. I live at and manage a self storage facility and do have a covered vaulted ceiling car port next to my home and a small 5x10 unit that opens up on the carport but I still can't do much there. The owner does not mind simple maintenance work but major tear down projects are a no no.

Do any of you use a DIY garage in your town? There are none here and when I bring it up to people they tell me they would use one if was available. Of course whether they actually would use one is a guess at best.

With my 35 years experience in the field I know I could outfit one but am also aware of the costs. Has anyone seen them in their town and then seen them fold up for lack of business? I have some extra money and am feeling an itch to do something like this.
I’ve talked with various guys about doing the same thing around me. For both woodworking and mechanic stuff. Haven’t figured out how to bankroll it or all the legal beagle liability stuff, particularly for the woodworking stuff.

Would like to use it as a place for folks to learn and/or save money, but also offer free repairs for elderly or other worthy recipients in the community.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’ve talked with various guys about doing the same thing around me. For both woodworking and mechanic stuff. Haven’t figured out how to bankroll it or all the legal beagle liability stuff, particularly for the woodworking stuff.

Would like to use it as a place for folks to learn and/or save money, but also offer free repairs for elderly or other worthy recipients in the community.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do have a friend that has a nice garage with a nice set of tools that I have trained over the years and I can use his garage and his help whenever I want. But it is not all about me needing a place/garage. I want to rent space/time/knowledge/tools and make some money. I would still do what I do now for the living and work arrangements. I know of at least 3 trained techs that I could get to help run the place when I can't be there. You did bring up one worry and that is the liability and all the city fees for anything they wish to charge you for. I may need to just find a garage on a friends property that we do this but is advertised word of mouth to keep the city out of it.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a perfect chance but didn’t have the stones to do it. Old Ford dealer in my little town closed shop and retired. Has a 5 bay garage now they’re making it a community center. A friend rented an old 2 bay lift muffler shop he’s doing now. Turd...

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I really want to "get back in the game", so to speak, but not as a service manager. I don't want to put up with some of the prima donna techs and the customer that refuses to take responsibility for the condition a vehicle is in. This DIY garage would be slower paced and we do what we want to do instead of what a bean counter thinks we should do.

There is a shop about 12 miles away in a small town I used to live in and I rented the duplex in front of it and I also rented the shop for a way to make money on the side. It is about 100' long and 20' wide with a tall ceiling. The landlord knocked rent off for working on his company and family vehicles. He even offered to put a lift in it. It has a garage door at each end of the shop. I think I am going to call him and see what he might do with that shop.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a good sized town and there is none here, I think there is one place about 50 miles away that rent's service bays and that is in Sacramento which is even bigger than here and that's the only place I know of even close to me, seems like there is probably some serious liability involved, all it takes is one "idiot" to put you into years of court, better have a good waiver made up.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I live in a good sized town and there is none here, I think there is one place about 50 miles away that rent's service bays and that is in Sacramento which is even bigger than here and that's the only place I know of even close to me, seems like there is probably some serious liability involved, all it takes is one "idiot" to put you into years of court, better have a good waiver made up.

Ahhhhh....yea, your are right. That is why that old shop is appealing to me. I had forgotten about that shop till just before I typed up that post about it. Ability for a lift is a must.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when I was stationed at Ft. Eustis, there was a rent-a-bay shop on base. They even let you sign out tools. Sure beat having to turn wrenches in the parking lot.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it. There are enough of these that you can contact to see what they do for insurance and waivers. To me the biggest hurdle was having enough tools. I’d think the hard core DIY guys have their own spot and tools but the appealing part to me was teaching folks, especially young ones, how to care for their cars.