Dimmable rearview mirror with built in backup LCD screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, sorry I had to ask so many damn times....really nice when it is all laid out for people, that way when they reference this, "soon to be stickied" they can find the breakdown with EXACTLY what someone would need if their approach was X, Y or Z....Again thanks for all the invaluable info, you deserve a Gold Star!

Do I need any special harness to get a stock NAV unit working in place of the stock bottom of the barrel, barebones AM/FM/AUX headunit? I know I wanna go thru MVI (if that is the same guy) for the AMP and hookups....

THANKS!!! *bowing down in praise*

jmm121783

Reaction score
So the plug doesn't look like the pinout at all? If you hold the plug in your harness, wires ointing away from you and the 'retaining clip" (that holds the plug in place) to your right, do the color line up? Because that's the orientation of the pinout.

The mirror won't work if you plug it directly into the harness. The video signal and ground need to be replaced. The coax cable with leads comes with instructions on how to release the pin retainer so you can pull the two video leads out. Also, for the mirror power to come on, in my SSV, the car actually needs to be running, not just in the ACC position. btw: faulty signals can turn electronics off. and also, there is an on/off button on the mirror. (I believe the video pins are 6-7, in the pinout, you can clearly see them if the orientation of the plug is right.)

Ron

HOLY SMOKES the stock little ass Camera is $130?!?! Wow how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking Ron? Like you I'd rather use stock parts when possible, if you have a part # I can post the rest of the info here on the forums as it relates to current pricing, both new and used and if their are any aftermarket OEMs or substitutes that would work and be as good or better.

I think I found it, please confirm...
GM # 22885399

Did you have the unused/unplugged wire harness/connector on/in your stock wire harness and located somewhere on the back tail gate under the plastic interior color piece? I assume so, just like the DIC and Rearview mirror connector.

There is this option if the stock NAV unit has RCA, in which from all the talk previously I'm 99% sure it does. With that in mind, this should be a decent alternative @ 1/6 of the price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Color-Camera-For-Chevrolet-Suburban-2500-Tahoe/321831445158?fits=Year:2009|Model:Tahoe&epid=923626740&hash=item4aeea622a6:g:ASoAAOSwLdBaIXC7&_sacat=0&_nkw=2009+tahoe+backup+camera&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOLY SMOKES the stock little ass Camera is $130?!?! Wow how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking Ron? Like you I'd rather use stock parts when possible, if you have a part # I can post the rest of the info here on the forums as it relates to current pricing, both new and used and if their are any aftermarket OEMs or substitutes that would work and be as good or better.

GM # 22885399

Did you have the unused/unplugged wire harness/connector on/in your stock wire harness and located somewhere on the back tail gate under the plastic interior color piece? I assume so, just like the DIC and Rearview mirror connector.

There is this option if the stock NAV unit has RCA, in which from all the talk previously I'm 99% sure it does. With that in mind, this should be a decent alternative @ 1/6 of the price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Color-Camera-For-Chevrolet-Suburban-2500-Tahoe/321831445158?fits=Year:2009|Model:Tahoe&epid=923626740&hash=item4aeea622a6:g:ASoAAOSwLdBaIXC7&_sacat=0&_nkw=2009+tahoe+backup+camera&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Actually I don't know the GM part number, I would have to look it up. I bought my camera from MVI, it came with the wiring harness and the built in voltage adapter. (The car is 12V, the camera operates on 5V). The wiring harness is one cable, with an RCA plug and a power and ground lead.

I actually paid $249 for it, BUT as I said, it came with the built in voltage converter AND the 'harness'. Might be you can find less expensive ones, BUT, this was plug and play and the guy that sold it to me is very good at supporting it. (the first one I hadd was a DOA, was replaced, no questions asked.)

Besides that, GM OEM is expensive anyway.

I'll attach a pic of what I have, the number is on the label. BTW, I don't think the one that can be directly plugged into the car's harness will work. Someone here tried that (haven't seen/heard from him, I don't think he had any luck making it work). In the dash board,, the harness in an SSV/PPV is way different and doesn't have the wiring for the camera because of the basic radio. To hook up a camera you'd have to provide the (keyed) power and run the RCA cable to the front.

I might have spent way too much on some parts (or all as some pointed out), BUT the people I bought stuff from were very helpful and made install a breeze. I could have bought a $100 camera, but if I can't get it to work it's a waste of time/money. So basically, I bought a camera that was guaranteed to work for me, and had the guy help and figure out what to hook up where and help trouble shooting (the first camera was a DOA). Also, he sent replacement before I sent the old one back, so I only had to take the tail gate apart once more. I feel I paid for that too, and the end result is that it is working.

Ron

IMG_20180516_173900927.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GM # 22885399

I just looked up your part number, I don't think you can just use that one and plug it in. If you use it you'd have to modify it, and come up with some wring AND make sure you feed it 5V and not 12V. (also if you accidentally power one of the video wires, you are likely to ruin it.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, sorry I had to ask so many damn times....really nice when it is all laid out for people, that way when they reference this, "soon to be stickied" they can find the breakdown with EXACTLY what someone would need if their approach was X, Y or Z....Again thanks for all the invaluable info, you deserve a Gold Star!

Do I need any special harness to get a stock NAV unit working in place of the stock bottom of the barrel, barebones AM/FM/AUX headunit? I know I wanna go thru MVI (if that is the same guy) for the AMP and hookups....

THANKS!!! *bowing down in praise*

There is a conversion harness, the address I sent you for Matt from "OEM GM Radios", they sell it on their website, I forgot what the item# is but could look it up.

I'll attach a picture of it. If you ever decide to go with the "plug and play amp" that I bought too, the plugs of the conversion harness will connect to the amp harness and the other end of the amp harness will plug in to your NAV head unit. The attached picture is of the conversion harness that I bought, goes in between radio and "dash harness"

Ron

conv-harness.jpg

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM OEM is expensive anyway.

BTW, I don't think the one that can be directly plugged into the car's harness will work. Someone here tried that (haven't seen/heard from him, I don't think he had any luck making it work). In the dash board,, the harness in an SSV/PPV is way different and doesn't have the wiring for the camera because of the basic radio. To hook up a camera you'd have to provide the (keyed) power and run the RCA cable to the front.

I might have spent way too much on some parts (or all as some pointed out), BUT the people I bought stuff from were very helpful and made install a breeze. I could have bought a $100 camera, but if I can't get it to work it's a waste of time/money.

Ron

Yes that guy was me and I have yet to get the factory camera to work so what he said about wasting money is very true. I am considering taking the factory camera out and buying the one that Ron got to work and be done with it! He may have spent more money but his stuff is working and mine is nothing but issue after issue which is really bad when you do not know how to figure out electrical issues like me! I sure wish I had followed Ron's advice!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that guy was me and I have yet to get the factory camera to work so what he said about wasting money is very true. I am considering taking the factory camera out and buying the one that Ron got to work and be done with it! He may have spent more money but his stuff is working and mine is nothing but issue after issue which is really bad when you do not know how to figure out electrical issues like me! I sure wish I had followed Ron's advice!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ah, hi Mike,

didn't want to throw your name out here. But yeah, I researched this radio thing quite a bit before I got started. I mostly paid attention to compatibility, since I didn't want to do any re-wiring. There probably are cheaper solutions, but all of those that I saw mean I had to custom wire an amp in there, which meant running separate wiring for the speakers. Also, with the three sellers I figured this out with, it was easier for them, because they knew what I was talking about, because it was all GM OEM style stuff which they know all the details of.

I am happy with it, and it works. I especially really like the mirror with backup LCD, that's a lot more practical than just the screen on the radio.

Ron

jmm121783

Reaction score
All good Ron, I am going to get together with Mike locally and I know I will just take your proven approach. No reason to try and make it better, in my opinion something that is guaranteed to work and is supported on the level we need is well worth some extra coin. Ok I got the RCA splitter, the rearview mirror to RCA harness, just need to figure out this jazz with MVI for the rest of the NAV harnesses/amp it sounds like! Really excited to start piecing this together and also to meet up with Mike and give him a hand before I do my install (or at least simultaneously install together) we will get him figured out!

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good Ron, I am going to get together with Mike locally and I know I will just take your proven approach. No reason to try and make it better, in my opinion something that is guaranteed to work and is supported on the level we need is well worth some extra coin. Ok I got the RCA splitter, the rearview mirror to RCA harness, just need to figure out this jazz with MVI for the rest of the NAV harnesses/amp it sounds like! Really excited to start piecing this together and also to meet up with Mike and give him a hand before I do my install (or at least simultaneously install together) we will get him figured out!

good luck!! I'll keep a bit of an eye on here for msgs... but if you have all the "right" parts, it should be straight forward. (oh btw: if you do the navigation GPS part too... you'd have to get a GPS antenna too, they are like $26). There might be more ways to skin that cat, but this is the easiest I could find.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck!! I'll keep a bit of an eye on here for msgs... but if you have all the "right" parts, it should be straight forward. (oh btw: if you do the navigation GPS part too... you'd have to get a GPS antenna too, they are like $26). There might be more ways to skin that cat, but this is the easiest I could find.

Ron

Hello Ron,

I read from another person doing this conversion that he had a bad wire in his conversion harness that he got from Matt. His radio would not turn on or power up until the key was turned on? Have you heard or read anything about that? I was having issues with my new conversion harness also and think maybe there were some not made correctly? My issues went away when I used a different harness. This is just about the Nav Radio and not the camera. I am trying to get Joe to bring his SSV to an Emergency Vehicle show near us on the 17th so maybe we will finally get to meet up and exchange help.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy