Dimmable rearview mirror with built in backup LCD screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I was saying I got a guy on the inside of a dealership that get me everything for free, obviously not parts but any labor, info, print offs, tsbs anything. He is a really cool guy doing all my labor for me free of charge. I help him with a ton of other stuff and always make sure I tip him no matter what. He had to deal with my Bilstein 5100 install/issue with the spring perches...luckily my man, Kenny who posted a few above us came thru with an extra set, after I was at my wits end....Did I mention he GAVE them too me, expected nothing, I don't even know if he wanted me to pay shipping but I sure as hell wasnt gonna let him get away with that empty handed :D B) Thanks Kenny!!!

Anyway kool, gonna contact those people. glad I got the right mirror and I should have this done before the fall. Appreciate ya ron
Hello Joe,

I think I posted some pics for the mirror hookup too somewhere here. It is a pretty easy install once you know where the leads go. ... Don't forget the airbag curtains though.

the guy from MVI is pretty good with the audio stuff, it's not a Bose amp, but the same style AND what I liked, it's truely plug and play. I didn't do anything about the speakers though, because it's a car (and my off rooad tires make a bunch of noise too), besides, from what I understand, the Bose speakers are not a whole lot better.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still not certain what the fascination is with the factory Navi.... it is atrocious... especially the early year models.

By the time you spend all the money to...
*Buy a stock head unit
*Pay to have it programmed
*Buy a Bose style amp
*Buy a wiring harness to make said amp work... etc.

You would be much further ahead to buy the Rosen GM1210 which has a much better Navi interface not to mention the sound is head and shoulders above the stock unit when hooked to the Bose amp. From the factory the stereo cuts the bass as you go up in volume making the factory sub pointless. After the Rosen you can actually tell there is a sub there.

I realize that non of that applies to you guys with PPVs/SSVs because you don't have the Bose amp and sub.... BUT

The Rosen comes with a different wiring harness for NON-Bose trucks and it will put out 50W per channel in this configuration which is more than enough for factory speaker and quite good even for aftermarket speakers. With this setup you wouldn't need to rewire the whole truck to use a Bose amp or aftermarket, you would just wire it up in the dash and your good to go. Plus the Rosen has Front, Rear, and Sub RCA outputs in case you did want to upgrade in the future to use amps, which the factory HU does not.

All plug and play with no extra modules to buy and all for about $600... seems like a no brainer to me, but what do I know?

I just wanted to have a GM OEM one, no other reason really.

Ron

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
I agree, IDK if I even "crave" something like that. Cellphones are taking the jobs of a lot of old "cool things" and condensing it in to something we carry everywhere we go. Functionality in the car is limited to what I really need to maneuver and enjoy driving the vehicle. After backing into the HHR (god damnit) I've got 5% of my that wants to sell it and move on, get a CTSV finally and step up into the big leagues. I would of course keep the Tahoe, MUST HAVE 4x4 period....

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I just wanted to have a GM OEM one, no other reason really.

Ron

I hope you didn't take what I said as a personal attack... I just think there are easier/better/cheaper ways of accomplishing what looks like a stock stereo than being hung with what GM provided and getting better sound quality to boot.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you didn't take what I said as a personal attack... I just think there are easier/better/cheaper ways of accomplishing what looks like a stock stereo than being hung with what GM provided and getting better sound quality to boot.

not at all. When I started it, the 'problems" I ran into was that I needed to rewire a bunch of things, mostly for the speakers. I just didn't want to deal with it at the time... so that's why I went that route. Also, thought, that it would be easier back then to do it that way.

there are a few 'extras' ... probably not worth the effort/money, the radio also displays some messges, for example low fuel and starts looking for gas stations.

Ron

jmm121783

Reaction score
If you are absolutely sure the Freon is fully charged and the compressor is short cycling then it's probably a bad low pressure switch.

My condenser was bad, got it replaced and I have AC, shouldnt have thread hijacked.....Whoops.....I'm re-reading all of this to figure out what exactly I need besides the Mirror.

I plugged in the mirror to my stock harness found in the headliner and nothing happens, no lights on the mirror, nothing. Again that was I need to re-read this thread and make sure I have the right harness (the pinout could be changed is the only thing I can think of) the actual harness itself is it because it has the same plug connector piece. Luckily my GENTEX 657 came with the original harness still attached to the mirror, just cut from the donor trucks harness. The wires/colors are WILDLY different so I hope they didnt change pinouts between years. Again I am caught jumping in mid-thread and buying stuff without doing my research. This is no one fault but my own and I appreciate the help and guidance you guys have provided.

I have my mirror, stock NAV headunit and I am ready to do some modding B)

Ron once I get through this again, message you buddy on eBay and get everything in order, I will then ask you more questions :D

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My condenser was bad, got it replaced and I have AC, shouldnt have thread hijacked.....Whoops.....I'm re-reading all of this to figure out what exactly I need besides the Mirror.

I plugged in the mirror to my stock harness found in the headliner and nothing happens, no lights on the mirror, nothing. Again that was I need to re-read this thread and make sure I have the right harness (the pinout could be changed is the only thing I can think of) the actual harness itself is it because it has the same plug connector piece. Luckily my GENTEX 657 came with the original harness still attached to the mirror, just cut from the donor trucks harness. The wires/colors are WILDLY different so I hope they didnt change pinouts between years. Again I am caught jumping in mid-thread and buying stuff without doing my research. This is no one fault but my own and I appreciate the help and guidance you guys have provided.

I have my mirror, stock NAV headunit and I am ready to do some modding B)

Ron once I get through this again, message you buddy on eBay and get everything in order, I will then ask you more questions :D

So the plug doesn't look like the pinout at all? If you hold the plug in your harness, wires ointing away from you and the 'retaining clip" (that holds the plug in place) to your right, do the color line up? Because that's the orientation of the pinout.

The mirror won't work if you plug it directly into the harness. The video signal and ground need to be replaced. The coax cable with leads comes with instructions on how to release the pin retainer so you can pull the two video leads out. Also, for the mirror power to come on, in my SSV, the car actually needs to be running, not just in the ACC position. btw: faulty signals can turn electronics off. and also, there is an on/off button on the mirror. (I believe the video pins are 6-7, in the pinout, you can clearly see them if the orientation of the plug is right.)

Ron

jmm121783

Reaction score
Yea the pinout is just different, the connector is exactly the same! That makes sense then that it wouldn't light up or "do anything" the ground/power is completely different it sounds like. After work I will try to get a good pic of both harnesses and their wire colors/pinout

jmm121783

Reaction score
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need this for sure to split the RCA/Video coming from the stock nav and the pins go into the stock harness positions

Yes you'd need that cable, the leads go into the plug, in spot 6-7. and the RCA ends up near the radio.

Than use a Y splitter to split the signal coming from the RCA plug of the camera (MVI also sells that camera, with harness,) and split it so it goes to the mirror and to the NAV radio. There is no video signal coming out of the radio I think, so you split the signal coming from the camera to the radio, and the other to the mirror.

So you'd need that coax AND also something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Y-jack...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Those are the parts I used for hooking the camera up to the mirror and NAV radio,

The camera I bought from MVI is factory, and has an RCA plug lead, a red key-ed power lead and a ground. (ground goes to sheetmetal, power goes to a tab in the distribution box near the brake pedal.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium

Latest posts