Dimmable rearview mirror with built in backup LCD screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few things.
- your camera has 4 wires right? (VCC/GND, SIG+/SIG-, power, ground, signal, signal ground). ?

- I think hooking up your camera that way won't work, I don't think you have all the wiring for that and I don't think your conversion harness supports it. The radios signal wires come in through the yellow RCA in that conversion harness. Even IF you had the camera wiring factory, with that harness it is not connected.. So I don't think that route will work.

- You probably want to attach a coax(for video) and power/gnd(for running it) and power it directly and run the signal directly to the radio's input.

- The radio, and camera, factory, are turned on by ignition key power, I am pretty sure the camera doesn't have anything to do with the BCM, only the radio itself (and for that only the anti theft stuff).

- What I noticed is with this "audio stuff" is that darker color wires tend to be some sort of ground and lighter ones power/signal (but I wouldn't bet anything much on that), and I'm not an expert by any means.

- also, some laptops have an RCA output, or have a cable/converter that has an RCA pigtail.

Ron

My factory camera has more than 4 wires. I think it is 6 total but I left my paper at home with that information. I hooked up the key on power and ground to one of the connectors. The other connector has one wire which the wiring diagram shows as being blunted so I was told that meant not used. I hooked up the positive wire to the center on the RCA and the ground wire to the outer part of the RCA plug. The last wire in that connector is the Dark Blue which I was told went to the BCM but I did not need it.

I hooked the RCA plug to the harness coming out of the radio so it sounds like I have it hooked up like you said?

I must admit that not only do I not have a DVD player but I also do not have a laptop nor do I even have a smart phone! I have a flip phone.

I switched out the harness with the RCA plug to the original used one that came with the radio when I got it and that did not make the camera work either so it should not be a wiring issue. I have confirmed power into the camera and when in reverse I have power out of the camera and I had power going into the RCA plug at the radio.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
triplicate? *lol*

Ron

When I replied this morning I hit Post Reply and nothing happened so of course I hit it again and still nothing happened so I figured third time was the charm and it then worked but posted all three times I hit it. Sorry about that.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory camera has more than 4 wires. I think it is 6 total but I left my paper at home with that information. I hooked up the key on power and ground to one of the connectors. The other connector has one wire which the wiring diagram shows as being blunted so I was told that meant not used. I hooked up the positive wire to the center on the RCA and the ground wire to the outer part of the RCA plug. The last wire in that connector is the Dark Blue which I was told went to the BCM but I did not need it.

I hooked the RCA plug to the harness coming out of the radio so it sounds like I have it hooked up like you said?

I must admit that not only do I not have a DVD player but I also do not have a laptop nor do I even have a smart phone! I have a flip phone.

I switched out the harness with the RCA plug to the original used one that came with the radio when I got it and that did not make the camera work either so it should not be a wiring issue. I have confirmed power into the camera and when in reverse I have power out of the camera and I had power going into the RCA plug at the radio.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

I am not sure if it's a wiring issue. WHat I do know is that the NAV radio needs the conversion harness, with the RCA plug, to connect a camera too (or at least those wires. I bought my camera with the coax and RCA and a power and ground lead. So I didn't have to figure out what wires needed to be used.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it's a wiring issue. WHat I do know is that the NAV radio needs the conversion harness, with the RCA plug, to connect a camera too (or at least those wires. I bought my camera with the coax and RCA and a power and ground lead. So I didn't have to figure out what wires needed to be used.

Ron

I am using the conversion harness with the RCA plug and I have the wires hooked up the same as yours except mine goes through the factory connectors on the lift gate and your does not. Other than that they should be exactly the same.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the conversion harness with the RCA plug and I have the wires hooked up the same as yours except mine goes through the factory connectors on the lift gate and your does not. Other than that they should be exactly the same.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

well maybe that is your problem then, the SSV/PPV is not configure to do the video stuff (factory) some plugs/wiring might be there, but doesn't mean it is connected. For example the harness for the mirror, the plug has some (short) wires in there for video, OnStar and BlueTooth stuff, which I know is not there and not connected because the car doesn't factory have that. (and the "main radio harness" doesn't even have that wiring. My car has the backup assist sensors, and the basic/factory radio was beeping in an increasing rate when getting closer to an object. Maybe that's why some wiring is there in my case, but not all of it.

Might very well be that for larger harnesses it was cost effective to leave the wiring out, and make a different harness and for shorter harnesses it wasn't cost effective. I'd just run coax all the way from the tailgate to the radio, that's what I did.

Also, I'd test the RCA connection by using a dvd player or so... and after that take the camera and plug it in to a small monitor or so, to confirm it is working and wired correctly.

I think the main harness does not provide wiring for integrating a camera into the factory harness, but I am not sure about it. What I do know is that people that sell OEM "upgrade kits" don't mess with the existing harness much, probably for that very same reason.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well maybe that is your problem then, the SSV/PPV is not configure to do the video stuff (factory) some plugs/wiring might be there, but doesn't mean it is connected. For example the harness for the mirror, the plug has some (short) wires in there for video, OnStar and BlueTooth stuff, which I know is not there and not connected because the car doesn't factory have that. (and the "main radio harness" doesn't even have that wiring. My car has the backup assist sensors, and the basic/factory radio was beeping in an increasing rate when getting closer to an object. Maybe that's why some wiring is there in my case, but not all of it.

Might very well be that for larger harnesses it was cost effective to leave the wiring out, and make a different harness and for shorter harnesses it wasn't cost effective. I'd just run coax all the way from the tailgate to the radio, that's what I did.

Also, I'd test the RCA connection by using a dvd player or so... and after that take the camera and plug it in to a small monitor or so, to confirm it is working and wired correctly.

I think the main harness does not provide wiring for integrating a camera into the factory harness, but I am not sure about it. What I do know is that people that sell OEM "upgrade kits" don't mess with the existing harness much, probably for that very same reason.

Ron

I really do NOT know how to make this more clear! I am NOT using any of the factory harness except the part that comes already connected to the factory camera! I could have cut off the plugs from the camera and wired it from there but I chose to get the matching connectors and wire after the connectors so if I ever needed to replace the factory camera all I would have to do is unplug it and plug in a new one. The factory wiring or lack of wiring has absolutely NOTHING to do with me or what I am trying to do. PLEASE remove that thought from your head completely and forget the word factory wiring was ever mentioned. That seems to be the sticking point with our conversations and it needs to be left out. Factory wiring is NOT involved in this issue or solution.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ron

I will try to do this as soon as I find a DVD player I can borrow and will report back once I verify the camera works or does not work. Thank You Very Much for the suggestions.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I will try to do this as soon as I find a DVD player I can borrow and will report back once I verify the camera works or does not work. Thank You Very Much for the suggestions.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

I believe you need to hook 12v to the blue wire on your camera as that is the camera turn on lead that normally goes to the BCM.

You could hook it up to the reverse lights or to a switch to control it manually or to an ignition source.

Try it and see if your camera works.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you need to hook 12v to the blue wire on your camera as that is the camera turn on lead that normally goes to the BCM.

You could hook it up to the reverse lights or to a switch to control it manually or to an ignition source.

Try it and see if your camera works.

Tried to hook power to the dark blue wire and nothing happened. It did not turn the camera on. I did stick a DVD in the radio and the screen works perfectly to play the movie. I still have not found a DVD player to plug into the RCA plug to test it.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy