Dimmable rearview mirror with built in backup LCD screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are absolutely sure the Freon is fully charged and the compressor is short cycling then it's probably a bad low pressure switch.

I don't know if the Tahoe has a clutch on the compressor, but I had a Jeep where the AC clutch was bad, and engaged and disengaged all the time.

Ron

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I don't know if the Tahoe has a clutch on the compressor, but I had a Jeep where the AC clutch was bad, and engaged and disengaged all the time.

Ron

It does have a clutch... I assumed he meant the clutch was engaging and disengaging from power being applied intermittently.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have a clutch... I assumed he meant the clutch was engaging and disengaging from power being applied intermittently.

It could be a bad relay, the contacts in some of them (especially the cheap ones) tend to fail.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have the rear view mirror with LCD installed. It's pretty easy really. The coax cable, with leads that go in the plug came with instructions on what wires to replace in the plug. The plug has a 'latch' that locks the metal lead in place in the plug. The instructions explain what leads need to be replaced (the harness that's 'dangling' near the overhead console is wired for a camera already) with the leads that come attached to the cable already. The coax was 9 feet long and that was (in my case) just enough to route it through the 'ceiling', down the driver side A-pillar, along the fuse box and kick panel to the center console, where the radio is. I used an RCA Y connector/splitter one female to two male connectors. (camera goes to the female, NAV radio and mirror connect to the two male connectors. As you can see it works too. The video on the radio comes on even when the key is in accessory position, the mirror comes on when the key is in the run position.

The mirror you can find around $100, the cable with instructions is $15 and the splitter was $4.

Ron

20180704_124548.jpg

Last edited:

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is fantastic. I sure wish I had the same luck in getting things to work that you have. You have managed to get it working on the radio and the rear view mirror! I am so jealous! I spent several hours this morning in 90 degree heat with about 200% humidity hooking up my camera today. And of course it does not work just like everything else I have tried with this radio swap! I have power into the camera. I have power out of the camera when in reverse. I have signal at the radio but yet I have no image on the screen! I took the radio out and swapped the wiring plug for the camera with the old harness and still no image! What did you hook the dark blue wire too if anything? You wanna take a road trip to hook all this stuff up for me??? LOL.

Happy 4th!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and see if you can get an image on the screen using a dvd player or so that has an RCA plug, that way, if you see an image, you know that the 'screen' is working, and it possibly is the wiring.

Hook an RCA cable up to the video input, that way you don't have to take the radio out all the time.

What dark blue wire are you talking about?

I put the mirror in while it was a 100 degr here... and in in the car.. with black interior... no AC becuse I took the battery + off.. because these airbag curtains, in the A-pillar....

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and see if you can get an image on the screen using a dvd player or so that has an RCA plug, that way, if you see an image, you know that the 'screen' is working, and it possibly is the wiring.

Hook an RCA cable up to the video input, that way you don't have to take the radio out all the time.

I put the mirror in while it was a 100 degr here... and in in the car.. with black interior... no AC becuse I took the battery + off.. because these airbag curtains, in the A-pillar....

Ron

OK I will see if I can find someone to loan me a DVD player since I do not own one and I will give that a try. I reread your write up and I see the camera you used does not have the dark blue wire which the factory camera does have. The factory wiring diagram says the dark blue goes to the BCM but I was told from the guy at work I did not need it because it was for using a mirror display?

I will trade your 100 degrees and low humidity for our 90 degrees and high humidity any time. I have been in 108 in Arizona that felt cooler then 90 here!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ron

Sorry. Duplicate Post????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ron

Sorry! Duplicate Post?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I will see if I can find someone to loan me a DVD player since I do not own one and I will give that a try. I reread your write up and I see the camera you used does not have the dark blue wire which the factory camera does have. The factory wiring diagram says the dark blue goes to the BCM but I was told from the guy at work I did not need it because it was for using a mirror display?

I will trade your 100 degrees and low humidity for our 90 degrees and high humidity any time. I have been in 108 in Arizona that felt cooler then 90 here!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

a few things.
- your camera has 4 wires right? (VCC/GND, SIG+/SIG-, power, ground, signal, signal ground). ?

- I think hooking up your camera that way won't work, I don't think you have all the wiring for that and I don't think your conversion harness supports it. The radios signal wires come in through the yellow RCA in that conversion harness. Even IF you had the camera wiring factory, with that harness it is not connected.. So I don't think that route will work.

- You probably want to attach a coax(for video) and power/gnd(for running it) and power it directly and run the signal directly to the radio's input.

- The radio, and camera, factory, are turned on by ignition key power, I am pretty sure the camera doesn't have anything to do with the BCM, only the radio itself (and for that only the anti theft stuff).

- What I noticed is with this "audio stuff" is that darker color wires tend to be some sort of ground and lighter ones power/signal (but I wouldn't bet anything much on that), and I'm not an expert by any means.

- also, some laptops have an RCA output, or have a cable/converter that has an RCA pigtail.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n