Dimmable rearview mirror with built in backup LCD screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I got one off of eBay yesterday (a mirror) for 18.99$ shipped....basically they go for $53 shipped all day on eBay. Literally 80% of the listings for that mirror are set to $53 buy-it-now/starting bid and there is A LOT of them on there. I suggest anyone looking to do this mod, first I'd check local Craigslist and then go to eBay.

LOL a lot has changed my friend...Detroit is a LOT different in just the last 5 years.

I def want to go with that stock head unit as well for looks and function....I do want to upgrade speakers and maybe do good components with amps but nothing crazy and aftermarket head units just don't "look good." I mean the units themselves look good but inside and installed in the car in the center of the dash is a different story. Could I bother you for that part number Ron or Mike? You guys have been huge helps thank you!

Call Walt at ADC mobile and get the Rosen CS GM1210...

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/cs-gm1210-ca/

looks exactly like the stock Navi but works and sounds 100 times better and it can be wired to work without the Bose system which is a lot easier for you guys with the PPV/Save.

$700 and you don't need any extra modules like with other aftermarket HUs.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Walt at ADC mobile and get the Rosen CS GM1210...

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/cs-gm1210-ca/

looks exactly like the stock Navi but works and sounds 100 times better and it can be wired to work without the Bose system which is a lot easier for you guys with the PPV/Save.

$700 and you don't need any extra modules like with other aftermarket HUs.

Cool, would sure be an alternative. Doesn't exactly look the same though. Also, the GM OEM HDD does work without an amp, just doesn't sound as good.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Of course I was sent the wrong rear view without the Video capabilities....hoping they send me the correct one rather than refund my $18.00 :D

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course I was sent the wrong rear view without the Video capabilities....hoping they send me the correct one rather than refund my $18.00 :D

Oops....

I wonder if you can get a rear view mirror that inexpensive, with an LCD screen. I bought a Gentex 657 on eBay,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentex-657-OnStar-Autodim-Rearview-Mirror-w-3-5-BACKUP-DISPLAY/262006426551?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
That guy is very helpful with the install, he knows everything about the pinouts etc too, and also knows what possible other parts you need.

Ron

PS: from what I understand it's what Tahoes factory came with.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Sweet I got a refund and they told me to keep the mirror (not much I can do with it LOL) prob give it to my buddy at the dealership that way he can "use" it if he comes up on a car without the LCD feature. I've watching one that is a great deal.....um I am ashamed to say, I REALLY NEED THIS as I just backed in to my HHR SS while in a rush to get to work :( I am a idiot!!!!!

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet I got a refund and they told me to keep the mirror (not much I can do with it LOL) prob give it to my buddy at the dealership that way he can "use" it if he comes up on a car without the LCD feature. I've watching one that is a great deal.....um I am ashamed to say, I REALLY NEED THIS as I just backed in to my HHR SS while in a rush to get to work :( I am a idiot!!!!!

oops.....

I noticed that the mirror with LCD is a lot more practical than the screen on the radio is, it's a convenient upgrade. Also, it was a real easy install/upgrade, due to the seller being very knowledgeable (which is worth a few $$ to me)

Ron

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so my truck came with the rearview back up mirror with lcd screen from factory but truck didn't come with factory nav, I put in an aftermarket nav screen, now how would I get the video feed from the mirror to my aftermarket navI screen? Thanks

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so my truck came with the rearview back up mirror with lcd screen from factory but truck didn't come with factory nav, I put in an aftermarket nav screen, now how would I get the video feed from the mirror to my aftermarket navI screen? Thanks

So I assume you have the camera too?... that means you have a camera cable somewhere. Tricky part is that; it might be a coax with RCA style cable, but probably not.

I case you have the camera already, working with the mirror, I would probably split the video signal at where the mirror is, with a cable that has leads on one end and a RCA on the other end and run that through the A-pillar to where the radio is.

The NAV radio you are getting probably is going to use an RCA plug, either because after market ones come that way, and when you use a GM OEM one, you need a conversion harness that comes with a female RCA plug.

The conversion harness also comes with stuff for the antenna etc, but you'd need a separate GPS antenna.

Also, these NAV radios are meant to work with a GM / Bose style amplifier. The radio will work without it, but the sound is not that good, and no chimes.

Ron

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

On the existing rear view mirror connector you will find a blue wire (video -) and a white wire (video +). Those wires are located in pins 7 and 6 of the mirror connector respectively.

Purchase a 10' RCA cable and cut one end off. Strip the casing and you will find two wires inside that represent video + and video - but use an ohm meter to test continuity to ensure you know which one corresponds to the right signal. The outer shell of an RCA is negative while the center pin is going to be positive. Typically the video positive wire inside the RCA coax is an insulated wire while the negative is just bare.

Splice the positive wire into the white wire on the mirror and the negative wire of the RCA into the blue wire on the mirror. You can either cut them off from the mirror harness to move the signal or tap them in if you want to split the signal.

Route the RCA to the back of your navigation radio and connect into the RCA input for rear camera. You can tuck it between the headliner and glass, then route it behind the driver's a-pillar cover and down through the side of the dash so the cable is hidden.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE