Diesel vibration in the seats in idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot test drive dmax 3.0 in my area including even trucks, all dmax engines are sold before they arrive to a parking lot. Thus wanted to ask if diesel Tahoe in the base LS trim will be a good driver. We drive a lot but one thing that we hated in our '18 Yukon and '20 Tahoe was rough idle that 5.3L delivered. I liked how Tahoe/Yukon drove on the highways but at every stop it was a shake-shake galore. Thus anyone with Duramax 3.0 can you comment if you feel diesel vibrations (I still remembered 2000-2005 diesels) in the driver/passenger seats.

Thank you.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its as smooth as butter... but.... you have to turn off the auto start/stop every time when you start for a trip. If you do this, you will be very happy. Diesels don't like auto start/stop and they do shake at stop lights etc

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its as smooth as butter... but.... you have to turn off the auto start/stop every time when you start for a trip. If you do this, you will be very happy. Diesels don't like auto start/stop and they do shake at stop lights etc
Thanks, just to make sure I understand, with auto start/stop OFF is idle smooth at traffic lights and while standing with gear in D?

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes absolutely, you will hardly notice its a diesel.
Thanks, that would be a huge upgrade then from 5.3. I know majority of people with 5.3 find their engines butter smooth in idle. Out of 21 trucks with 5.3 I have tested over the past 3 years, only one had smooth idle. My 2018 Yukon was shaking bad. My 2020 5.3 started smoothER but grew to misfire a lot at 33K miles. So Duramax has promise, I hope.

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
Cold start has a little shaking (what diesel doesn’t?!) around 20°F but goes away in minutes. Warmer cranks are just fine.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, this is reassuring. I guess days of old diesels are behind us. Those German diesels were certainly shaky.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Tahoe LM2 3.0L has been running since 10/18/21 and perfect so far at 2,700 miles. It's a little louder in warm up and barely noticeable as a diesel after it reaches the 210F operating temperature. It has none of the clatter and sputtering associated with older diesels - think M-B 240D. It appears to me to operate with the same smoothness and power as modern Eurodiesels like the ones I hv rented in Germany, BMW's and Audis. Throttle response is just as good as gasoline. No perceptible turbo lag. Quiet running. I don't know what the actual measured acceleration times are, but I think the engine has smooth, ample thrust at all non-arrestable speeds. The initial 0-45 launch is very fast and it pulls hard enough well beyond that up to any speed I've dared to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz