Diagnosing a shake, jerky ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm relatively new here, but I've been reading this forum a lot since I picked up a 2011 Tahoe LT 4x4 about a year ago. It has been a great resource and I'm learning a lot.

I'm hoping to get some input on diagnosing a vibration/shaky ride. I first noticed it a couple of months ago. It was very minor, to the point I almost thought it was just my imagination. But it seems to be slowly getting worse. It is bad enough that a passenger can now tell, but only if I point it out first. At times it feels like a very out of balance wheel but It is not a perfect rhythmic vibration, it feels more random but it is almost constant when in motion. Its a jerky front to back shake almost like the motor is misfiring, but I have no codes and it feels more like driveline to me. I do not feel it through the steering wheel at all and it seems to be coming from the back end, but hard to tell. I mostly feel it through the seat and floor board. It is most noticeable cruising on the highway at 50-60 mph but it is still noticeable even at very low speed. It doesn't seem to get worse at higher speeds or when passing vehicles--if anything it smooths out a little. Going over rough patches in the road seems to aggravate it. I have tried the 45mph swerve test and it doesn't seem to be any worse on one side or the other.

My best guess is that a rear bearing may be on its way out, but there is no noise that I can hear. I have jacked up the rear and wiggled both rear wheels. There is very slight play on both wheels but nothing that would seem out of the ordinary. I have tried to shake everything I can get my hands on-- drive shaft u-joints, shocks, sway bar, tie rods, cv joints, etc. and everything seems solid. Bouncing on the bumper the shocks still seem good.

I have changed both front hub bearings recently. An alignment shop said the front left was going out last fall so I changed it back in November. The front right started making a little noise so I changed it a couple of weeks ago hoping that might resolve my issue, but no dice. I used Timken hubs.

Truck has ~104K miles. I do have a 2/1 leveling kit and 285/70/17 AT tires on it since October. FWIW I just did the plugs/wires and transmission service. Next up is diff and transfer case service. I was going to pull the driveshaft, check the u-joints and lube the slip joint splines while I was at it.

Any thoughts? I hate knowing something is wrong and not being able to track it down. I have a 1000 mile road trip coming up in a couple of weeks and would love to have this taken care of before then but I'd rather not just start throwing parts at it either. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just spoke with a mechanic friend who seemed to think it was probably a bad U-joint. I suppose I will go ahead and pull the driveshaft to give them a more thorough inspection unless anyone has any other suggestions.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No SES light? Hook up a scan tool that does real-time monitoring and watch it for misfires, TCC lockup or other sudden changes to register at the time you feel it. Actually, they'll register on the display about a second after you feel it, but you should see a pattern.

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No SES light. I actually just got a Tech2 based on recommendations on this forum and I should have some time to play with it this weekend. I did try coasting in nuetral at about 50 mph this afternoon and the shaking was still present so I would think this would rule out misfires? It seems to be getting worse in just the last couple of days. I’m about 90% sure it’s either u-joints or a bearing somewhere in the back end.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No SES light. I actually just got a Tech2 based on recommendations on this forum and I should have some time to play with it this weekend. I did try coasting in nuetral at about 50 mph this afternoon and the shaking was still present so I would think this would rule out misfires? It seems to be getting worse in just the last couple of days. I’m about 90% sure it’s either u-joints or a bearing somewhere in the back end.

Great test! And good for you for getting a Tech2! Have you put it up on jack stands and tried moving things (driveshaft, pinion, rear wheels, etc.) around?

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll put it on stands tonight and confirm. Any suggestions on U-joint brand? I'm seeing Spicer and Moog recommended a lot. It looks like the GM OEM parts are 3 times the price of the Spicers (!) How about sealed vs greasable?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spicer FTW. Greasable vs. sealed is really more of a personal preference. The sealed ones seem to last just fine and are a couple less Zerk fittings to have to hit when performing a chassis lube. Personally, I'd rather the greasable so I know the grease is good.

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I got some Spicer units on the way. I pulled the shaft yesterday and the u-joints don't seem to be in too bad of shape but I will go ahead and replace them given the mileage. I pulled the rear diff pan to take a look and everything seems to be in good shape. Typical fuzz on the magnet, but no metal chunks and the fluid looks good. Rear wheel bearings don't seem bad either. I guess I'll go ahead and change the diff fluid front and rear and see where I'm at.

I'm trying to determine the correct fluid for the front diff. AlldataDIY is saying 80W-90 (p/n 89021671) for the front. However it seems this part number is discontinued. After some searching I found 89021669 (AC Delco 10-4051) which is 80W-90 but I'm not sure if this is a direct replacement for 89021671? Also it seems some people are using the 89021677 75W-90 for front and rear. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
More googling, more confusion. I see 89021677 is now superseded by 88900401. When I lookup 88900401 on amazon, it is saying I also need the friction modifier additive for my vehicle (88900330). Do I really need this? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. I assume it would be just for the rear (G80). I am also seeing people reference 8886264 which is labeled as Dexron LS 75W90 which already contains the friction modifier....

Last edited:

Clive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same truck here, 2011 LT, 80kmiles. Did both diffs 5K ago, used Mobil 1 "Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 Limited Slip Friction Modifier Included" for both Rear:4.2pts and Front:3pts. G80 also.

Here was the condition of the rear with a little metal fuzz on the magnet. A little fuzz on the front drain magnet also:-

IMG_20171203_144818.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14