Dextero DHT2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
For many months now, we have had an issue with two of the Goodyear Eagle tires that were on the Denali when we bought it. We’ve had to add air, at first once a month, then once a week, but lately almost every day. Well, the wife doesn’t see/understand that the tires are way too low, and doesn’t check them enough. The other day was the last straw. She had driven it to work and back twice with 11 pounds in one front, and 12 in the other. When I looked at them the sidewalk was touching the road surface. So last night went to Walmart to get new tires. They had Goodyear SR-A for $119 a piece, but they wouldn’t sell them to me because they were for their Black Friday sale, and I wasn’t leaving without new tires. So that left a more aggressive all terrain ( Rugged Terrain, maybe) or the Dextero’s. So I got the Dextero. I’ll admit, they looked weird in the small skinny size on display, and I made a them show me one in 275/55 20. It looked a lot better. So for less than $600, we got the tires, road hazard, and lifetime balance and rotation. I’ll post back later with an update on how they are doing. Anyone else use these? I did a search here and on FTE ( I drive an Excursion) and didn’t find much. Walmart.com reviews were all positive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the goodyear eagles are good tires, you probably had a slow leak in both tires for $30 you could have had them both fixed.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the Dextero DHT2 in that size on a fullsize GM SUV, but I had them on a 2000 Grand Cherokee. I think the size was 235/70R16 or 235/75R16. They were put on it right before I bought it and ran for a couple thousand miles by that owner. I bought it and put over 30,000 miles on it. Those tires were rotated regularly and the air pressure kept in check the entire time. I never had a balance issue, the tread wore evenly and they rode and handled great. When I sold the GC last May, they looked to be a little over halfway-worn. They're a 50K-mile tire, and I believe they'd give every bit of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
the goodyear eagles are good tires, you probably had a slow leak in both tires for $30 you could have had them both fixed.
They were too far gone. Extended driving timeX12 psi=ruined tires. They had cracks where the tread meets sidewall. Had wear in that area too, which should’nt happen unless you hit a lot of curbs. Safest bet was to replace the tires.

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Dextero DHT2 in that size on a fullsize GM SUV, but I had them on a 2000 Grand Cherokee. I think the size was 235/70R16 or 235/75R16. They were put on it right before I bought it and ran for a couple thousand miles by that owner. I bought it and put over 30,000 miles on it. Those tires were rotated regularly and the air pressure kept in check the entire time. I never had a balance issue, the tread wore evenly and they rode and handled great. When I sold the GC last May, they looked to be a little over halfway-worn. They're a 50K-mile tire, and I believe they'd give ever bit of that.
Thank you for the info. That’s on par with the reviews I read online. I feel better knowing my wife has new tires on the Denali.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. That’s on par with the reviews I read online. I feel better knowing my wife has new tires on the Denali.

Glad to help. Just make it a habit to check your air pressures at least weekly. Mine can't tell as easily as I can when a tire may be low, so I give the tires a glance over every evening after she gets home. Speaking of, I'm gonna go do that now and check the oil...

Oh- I'm guessing your TPMS system doesn't work or does your wife ignore the warnings? I have a few bad sensors so my light is always on which is why I have to keep checking it the traditional way.

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Glad to help. Just make it a habit to check your air pressures at least weekly. Mine can't tell as easily as I can when a tire may be low, so I give the tires a glance over every evening after she gets home. Speaking of, I'm gonna go do that now and check the oil...

Oh- I'm guessing your TPMS system doesn't work or does your wife ignore the warnings? I have a few bad sensors so my light is always on which is why I have to keep checking it the traditional way.
you are correct. Had Walmart check the sensors. I know ones bad. The tech told me the battery is good and it reset for a minute, then stopped working. Not sure why they didn’t change it. They told me before hand that they could.:think:

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Also, are the valve stems on the TPMS sensors? I told them to replace those as well, and noticed the next day they hadn’t.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are correct. Had Walmart check the sensors. I know ones bad. The tech told me the battery is good and it reset for a minute, then stopped working. Not sure why they didn’t change it. They told me before hand that they could.:think:

Yeah, while the tires are off the wheel is a perfect and logical time to replace the sensors. Mine failed by intermittently losing connection to the car, then just wouldn't connect or program any more. They all failed one at a time, but all within a few months. Makes sense since they're all installed and used the same amount every time. Only one of mine still works (currently). I'm sure it's just a battery and if they could be opened up without destroying them to replace the batteries, I would do that. I'm not gonna worry about it until I go to replace the tires. I'll buy my own sensors online to save a few bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019