Determining Tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calwaterbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1998 Tow Package

I just signed up here, because I am looking at buying a 4 door tahoe and turning it into my adventure travel unit.

I need to be able to pull a 6000 lb trailer, I know these units are more than capable of that, but how would i check if a specific truck had the Tow package?

And what would a tow package include? Tranny cooler? stiffer springs?

So can I check by decoding the VIN#?

Or could i tell by looking at the hitch reciever? did GM use some specific model i would not see from an aftermarket place?

I think I may have found the Tahoe I want to start with, but i need to check out the towing capabilities issues!

thanks from a newby

Calwaterbear
Auberry Ca

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The dealer can decode your vin for a build sheet. The RPO card was Z82. Your option codes are on a sticker inside the glove box. You have to look down on it to find it attached to the inside facing to the rear of the vehicle. The package will have a hitch, wiring for a four wire plug setup already with provisions for 7 wire setup, and a tranny cooler and oil cooler that will be integrated in the radiator. You may find a second cooler on the right side in front of rad for more tranny cooling. You could always change things up to. If you do not have that code, but have a hitch, then it was likely added later. And 6500lbs with a tongue weight of 800lbs is the classification for a 4dr 4x4. You would want to make sure you have the 5-leaf spring packs. Don't think GM made the hitch they just bought them from a vendor.

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a trailer brake controller added and the shop said they couldn't find any provision for a 7 pin harness. I know my truck has the towing package. Do you know where the harness is that the 7 pin can be added to?

OP
OP
C

Calwaterbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh man, I thought I asked this yesterday, couldn't find it here, so i reposted, only to find my original over in the drivetrain section. Don't now how to delete this, so please ignore!

New to the forum, new to tahoes. am ready to pull the trigger on a 1998 4 door 4X4. I plan on building it into my extreme adventure suport vehicle. One thing it has to do is pull a trailer - at times in excess of 6000 lbs.

I know these things are towing fiends if properly equipped. But the current owner has no idea if it has the tow package. So I have 2 questions,
1. how do I determine if it does have the tow package? it does have a reciever for the hitch, but can I determine if it is factory or aftermarket?

Would that option show up in the VIN #? if so, anyone have a deciphering site?

2. what was on a tow package? trans cooler? different brakes? heavier springs? differentv rear gear ratios?

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
CWB

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For starters does it have. 2" receiver hitch? Let's start their.

Next are you planning on a lift or bigger tires?

And finally those stock gears and transmission in combination with rear end will not tow 6k efficiently.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

We will need to know a little more. Specs to better help.

Also welcome

OP
OP
C

Calwaterbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For starters does it have. 2" receiver hitch? Let's start their.

Next are you planning on a lift or bigger tires?

And finally those stock gears and transmission in combination with rear end will not tow 6k efficiently.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

We will need to know a little more. Specs to better help.

Also welcome

Ok so it foes have a 2 inch reciever set-up. i was not planning on a lift , but maybe slightly taller tires.

and i have no idea if it has the tow package on it, thats what I am trying to determine.
1998 4 door 4X4, LS, 5.7 vortec, automatic trans, thats about as far as i have gotten, I am trying to determine if i should buy the darn thing, or pass and keep looking. Usually trailers would be small - motorcycle trailers, or small utility , or 2500 lb enclosed. But 3 or 4 times a year I need to haul our 2800 lb racecar 400 - 800 miles. with equpment and spares, i'm overestiamting 6K lbs, just to be on the safe side!

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should be fine. Get a big trans cooler maybe some 4.10s and keep it rolling.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ok then as above 4.10s and a big cooler. I have a 18x20 3/4" trans cooler and on 35s doing 65mph pulling 6k 20camper I'm 134* in July. All other times I'm around 115*

Cooler is key.

hugho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh man, I thought I asked this yesterday, couldn't find it here, so i reposted, only to find my original over in the drivetrain section. Don't now how to delete this, so please ignore!

New to the forum, new to tahoes. am ready to pull the trigger on a 1998 4 door 4X4. I plan on building it into my extreme adventure suport vehicle. One thing it has to do is pull a trailer - at times in excess of 6000 lbs.

I know these things are towing fiends if properly equipped. But the current owner has no idea if it has the tow package. So I have 2 questions,
1. how do I determine if it does have the tow package? it does have a reciever for the hitch, but can I determine if it is factory or aftermarket?

Would that option show up in the VIN #? if so, anyone have a deciphering site?

2. what was on a tow package? trans cooler? different brakes? heavier springs? differentv rear gear ratios?

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
CWB
The 4L60 is anything but a tow fiend!. Engine great, tranny awful and all will fail from 100 to 200K or even sooner if you try to tow. If you do never put it in "D", always 3. I have a 98 and NEVER tow with it and I change the fluid every 30-40K. so far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albethere

Latest posts