Detailing products..who does and who don't? Some comparison and product reviews...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigblackhoe

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK...I believe the pics are sufficient enough to see the swirl I was speaking of...

Here are the products I will be using on the Tahoe to see if I can get rid of that huge swirl mark...that I left being in to much of a hurry :whymewhyme:

Now, in a post earlier..I was told that I would need to use a High Speed Rotary Buffer I believe...Well, I have a "Old School" Rotary that I am not going to use because this whole project is geared toward the "Non Professional" everyday guy that just wants to get his/her truck looking the best as possible..having time to do it themselves..

I will be using the HD Paint Correction System consisting of 2 products...
1) HD Cut... and the challenger to this will be...3M's Super Duty Compound
2) HD Polish...and it will be up against...Turtle Wax Polishing Compound.
3) The Harbor Frieght Daul Action Polisher...about 60.00 vs. 300.00for the machines mentioned in that earlier post...

This will be a free for all, no holds barred, death match between the stuff you can get at you local auto parts place and the pro stuff you get online!!

Stay tuned for the Rummmmmmmmble of the Hummmmble!! :jawdrop:

Attachments

• IMG006.jpg
    IMG006.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG007.jpg
    IMG007.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get a Porter cable 7424 for about 140 and it is one of the best, easiest to use DAs out there... And there are plenty of products either in the store or online that do a great job... This is with a PC7424 using lake country pads and mequiars 105 followed by meguiars 205.

full.jpg

BEFORE

full.jpg

AFTER

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

OP
OP
bigblackhoe

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats some good work there 2drhoeon4s...

I appreciate the input on this thread.
Looks as if you have had some professional experience in detailing.

Excuse me for being so slow on doing the comparison of 3D Products..
I have pinched some nerves in my neck that have affected the range of use of both arms..My luck.

I have seen some doctors about it and as you know they are not as fast as we would like them to be on stopping what ails us....understatement of the year.

I have contacted Corey Johnson in Knoxville, Tn to help out with this project and that should give us a "Professional's view" on the whole project.

Corey is the owner of "As Clean as it Get's" Detailing in Knoxville...He turns out some beautiful work for car enthusiasts, collectors and mainstream customers on a daily basis..So I should be with Corey in the next few days and have the results posted then...

This is what happens when you get old!

OP
OP
bigblackhoe

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well...I ate enough muscle relaxers and pain meds to drop a horse but I got the job done!
And this stuff from 3D is great..

HD Cut and HD Polish works easily and better than any thing I have used on my vehicles..Hands Down.

The post with the Miguiars Compound and Polish falls short also..of course that's my opinion.

Let me make clear that in the comparison I done for 3D that I was not paid a dime to do it..David Fremani did give me the product shipped to my door to do the comparison with...He ask me to give an honest, no holds barred review of their stuff and I agreed...asking him point blank that if I thought it sucked I was free to report my actual feelings of the stuff...

I will post some pics so you can see what I saw...After 1 pass of the HD Cut and 1 pass of the HD Polish...With the Harbor Freight 60.00 DA Polisher using the Warrior Orange Cut Pad from HFT...3.99 at HFT

The HD Cut (compound) has a good work time on it giving you plenty of time to work your surface...It can be a little hard to remove but please remember that I have pinched all the nerves from the C6-7 in my neck and down both arms so I was working very "tenderly"...But it wasn't any worse than 3m's Super Duty Compound..HD Cut actually cuts as well as the 3m and finishes out much better and has virtually no dusting...

The HD Polish is the best polish I have ever used bar none...It gives a great working time and gives a finish that is far better than what I have been getting from the Turtle Wax Polish that I have used for years...and it comes off very easy even for a crippled up fat guy!

What really caught my attention was the amount of product you have to use to get the finish you want is soooo much less than with the 3m and TW I've been using all this time...To prime your pad is like 6-8 pea size drops and to finish the entire rear of my Tahoe was 8-10 more drops...same with the polish... :sunot:

So, in my "Old Dude" opinion...Can't beat this system even if you use a great big stick!

If any of you guys are interested in some info on the HD Cut/HD Polish feel free to email and I wll see what I can do for you..

I can't wait until I heal up and start on a Mazda Millenia S I have let set all spring and summer under the pin oaks in my backyard...NASTY. I'll get some pics of it on here tomorrow and let you see how bad it is...:jawdrop:

Attachments

• pics saved 327.jpg
    pics saved 327.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 24
  • pics saved 332.jpg
    pics saved 332.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 26
  • pics saved 335.jpg
    pics saved 335.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 33
  • pics saved 336.jpg
    pics saved 336.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 27
  • pics saved 337.jpg
    pics saved 337.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
bigblackhoe

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK...I've given a little more than a week for replies...

Pic 4 is the finish after 1 pass of HD Cut and 1 pass of HD Polish...
Pic 5 is after 1 pass of HD Cut..Forgot to hold up the bottle.

As you can see from the reflection of my old, crippled up butt on the rear barn door of my Tahoe Limited..a 13 year old truck that the finish is super...I would go so far as to say better than the results that were given on a much newer Tahoe using Megs...My opinion..and we all know that those are like butts..everybody has one..but mine just bigger than most!!

For us older guys this system is fantastic...The other guys had their chance to boast on my thread before I got the job done and for that I apologize...but as I noted above, even on the amount of meds I had to use to tackle this job the finish is the best I've had in all the years of service on my Hoe..