Denali XL Removing air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddyrim

Reaction score
Looking to replace my 2008 Denali XL air suspension with conventional coil and shock package. Air suspension just doesn’t hold up in our cold climate and way too expensive to maintain. I realize there are a few vendors offering their one stop solution, but I’ve found very reviews on this forum and others, and some saying their shocks are not up to *****.

That being said, I’d like to know if anyone has simply purchased coils and shocks from a non-air suspension equipped Yukon and had success. Looking at parts online, this would seem to be a viable option, though my question is, for the 6.2L equipped Denali XL, would I need the 1500 series springs or other? There seems to be much variation in available parts, so I’m hoping someone can chime in and offer guidance so I can look to order the parts locally, for front and back.

Anyone done anything similar? Or has everyone who removed the air suspension purchased a complete kit setup.

I’m aware of the “service Suspension” error message concern, I’ve had that illuminated on my dash for a long time, so I’m not concerned with that.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Hi, I will try to answer some of this based on experience. You might get more responses in the street suspension subforum but since it is here I will throw my thoughts in.

There was a recent thread in that subforum that I responded to earlier in the week and you can find some thoughts and explanations there as well. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/new-shocks.110205/page-2#post-1318500

The recap there is that the system is made up of two subsystems Shocks and Auto Level control. ALC controls the rear with air bags built into the shocks. Both the front and Rear shocks are electronically dampened. You can change the rear to passive shocks and keep the airbags or you could eliminate the ALC and purchase passive shocks.

Since you have decided to eliminate the ALC you could look at Blisten 5100's for the rear, pull the fuse for the compressor and done. In doing these most folks will also look to add a different spring as well since you will no longer have the support of the airbags in the rear.

You can maintain the electrically dampened struts for the front and when they go move to passive or keep the electronics in the front.

If you want to eliminate the dash lights and are handy look to this thread for resistors you can solder on to the sensors

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/autoride-bypass.48518/

If it were me given your statements I would look to either of these kits for a complete replacement including a bypass module for the stock system, both reuse your front springs for the struts.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/c-...-ext-gmt946-exv-gmt936-gm-yukon-xl-gmt932-lwb

https://www.arnottindustries.com/c-...-ext-gmt946-exv-gmt936-gm-yukon-xl-gmt932-lwb

If you tow a lot I might have some more specific recommendations but in general, this should give you what you need to know....

Cheers......

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread but no one is responding in the Autoride bypass stickied thread: what coils are people putting on the rear axle when swapping out the z55 suspension for passive (particularly Bilstein 5100's)? Would still like to tow and am plenty happy with a couple inches of lift if that's what new coils will add.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace my 2008 Denali XL air suspension with conventional coil and shock package. Air suspension just doesn’t hold up in our cold climate and way too expensive to maintain. I realize there are a few vendors offering their one stop solution, but I’ve found very reviews on this forum and others, and some saying their shocks are not up to *****.

That being said, I’d like to know if anyone has simply purchased coils and shocks from a non-air suspension equipped Yukon and had success. Looking at parts online, this would seem to be a viable option, though my question is, for the 6.2L equipped Denali XL, would I need the 1500 series springs or other? There seems to be much variation in available parts, so I’m hoping someone can chime in and offer guidance so I can look to order the parts locally, for front and back.

Anyone done anything similar? Or has everyone who removed the air suspension purchased a complete kit setup.

I’m aware of the “service Suspension” error message concern, I’ve had that illuminated on my dash for a long time, so I’m not concerned with that.

Jeff, my truck has the simple dumb suspension. Plain old ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension without G65 (Nivomat shocks).

Rear Shocks are ACDelco 540-435 or GM 25871227

Rear Coil Springs are ACDelco 45H2164 or GM 25783733

Tough to beat Amazon Prime prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champion313