Delta between Hybrid Tahoe and Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVyukyuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there must be something wrong with my truck, how is it that everyone gets 18 MPG average on gas models? I'm stuck at 14 MPG combined, this includes 30 min on highway and the rest of the day on the street, shouldn't I be getting more? When I did a long trip to Boston I got 15 MPG average

Maybe tires, pressure and or brand? Size?

Maybe gas, I use only Shell midgrade?

It's all flat around here as well.

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a hold of the aluminium liftgate and hood for my regular Tahoe. Weight savings help non-hybrids too.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Oh! One last 'doubting Thomas' thought. (looking for info really)

When the warranty expires, and the tranny goes out, how much would that cost to fix? (this was one thing I thought to myself when I was at the dealer)

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

No kidding! In a big SUV like these, that would be soooooo nice!

since the hybrid has the cvt (which im sure is alot better than the 4l60E) im sure it will last alot longer.

LVyukyuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a hold of the aluminium liftgate and hood for my regular Tahoe. Weight savings help non-hybrids too.

Sometimes I think these little things are the reason GM is struggling. Why not make all the parts out of one metal? I agree here, the weight savings would help in all makes and save GM money only paying one factory. I know the cost of material would be higher, but that could be passed on to the consumer.

CPMS

Reaction score
Sometimes I think these little things are the reason GM is struggling. Why not make all the parts out of one metal? I agree here, the weight savings would help in all makes and save GM money only paying one factory. I know the cost of material would be higher, but that could be passed on to the consumer.

This is a really good point. Maybe not making the whole vehicle out of aluminum, but all the hoods at least. ABS would also work, I think Ford still makes all the F-150 hoods and exterior bed panels out of ABS. They've been doing that since 2000 (maybe earlier). Hey, they're the only ones who didn't take the government handout and are not in bankruptcy (at least not yet), makes you wonder huh????

In case you're interested in swapping out your steel liftgate for an aluminum one, keep in mind that the aluminum lift gate's glass is fixed, it can't be rolled down (in case you use that function).

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a really good point. Maybe not making the whole vehicle out of aluminum, but all the hoods at least. ABS would also work, I think Ford still makes all the F-150 hoods and exterior bed panels out of ABS. They've been doing that since 2000 (maybe earlier). Hey, they're the only ones who didn't take the government handout and are not in bankruptcy (at least not yet), makes you wonder huh????

In case you're interested in swapping out your steel liftgate for an aluminum one, keep in mind that the aluminum lift gate's glass is fixed, it can't be rolled down (in case you use that function).

Well I hardly open the glass so it's not a big deal to me. I'm sure it'd cost way more than practical, along with the hybrid aluminium hood. :(

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up an '08 or '09 used Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon.

Any difference between the two?

Ride or Interior Quality?

thx,

m

I don't get your thread. It is a bit confusing. Changes to the standard Tahoe are significant, but I doubt you'll find a used 09 since that would mean someone would have had to have sold one. I don't know of any difference in the ride or quality. They already had the best ride and quality you could ask for. The hybrid feels smaller or shorter than the standard model. With the mileage my '09 gets and the cost premium of the hybrid there is not a business case for purchasing one other than to say "look what I bought". But, the Yukon is the better looking of the two.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Here's my .02'

You could take the extra money you save on a hybrid and modify a regular fully loaded Tahoe/Yukon to be getting just about the same MPG's if you adjust your driving habits. Any modification to a hybrid voids the warranty so you can't put different rims on it or anything at all. I looked at them when they first came out and the dealer said as silly as it sounds any modification weather it was taillights or a roof rack would give GM the ability to say that it caused a problem if there was one with the electric motor. So basically if you put new wheels on and the electric motor took a shit GM would not replace it and while that is a bad example because larger wheels could have a huge effect on the motor he had the same response when I asked him about all kinds of mods. So, aftermarket tails.....electric motor takes a shit.....warranty VOID. At least that is what the guy told me. As for me, I couldn't roll bone stock or I would really consider a hybrid, great vehicles just can't do anything to them. You could spend the $10K and put exhaust, supercharger, under drive pulleys, and other performance parts on a fully loaded Tahoe/Yukon and get pretty damn close to Hybrid numbers....just ask JK

CPMS

Reaction score
Not trying to start a debate here but gotta add my 2cents as a Hybrid owner. First off, any informed Hybrid owner should be smart enough to know that the added mpg won't pay for the difference in price of a Hybrid vs gas Tahoe/Yukon (anywhere between $5k-$8k depending on your negotiating skills). Most of us bought the vehicle to do our part in at least attempting to be a little "green" and don't mind paying the extra dough to do so. I'm not sure how well informed your Chevy salesman was regarding "warranty VOID" issues but I'm sure the Hybrid will have more restrictions than gas driven Tahoes with regards to aftermarket add-ons. Not all of us have the time/patience to deal with aftermarketing the whole truck but we still want to be able to pull 6,000 lbs and a family of 7 while getting okay mileage (try that in a Prius !!!!). I own a consulting business that specializes in energy conservation project management so my Hybrid is actually a roving billboard for me :)

Peace to all ......

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start a debate here but gotta add my 2cents as a Hybrid owner. First off, any informed Hybrid owner should be smart enough to know that the added mpg won't pay for the difference in price of a Hybrid vs gas Tahoe/Yukon (anywhere between $5k-$8k depending on your negotiating skills). Most of us bought the vehicle to do our part in at least attempting to be a little "green" and don't mind paying the extra dough to do so. I'm not sure how well informed your Chevy salesman was regarding "warranty VOID" issues but I'm sure the Hybrid will have more restrictions than gas driven Tahoes with regards to aftermarket add-ons. Not all of us have the time/patience to deal with aftermarketing the whole truck but we still want to be able to pull 6,000 lbs and a family of 7 while getting okay mileage (try that in a Prius !!!!). I own a consulting business that specializes in energy conservation project management so my Hybrid is actually a roving billboard for me :)

Peace to all ......

I hear what you are saying. I might have looked at the Tahoe hybrid, but the looks...no! I always felt like they could have off set that a bit. However, the city mileage just doesn't do it. My average mileage varies, but is between 16.5 and 18.5 with me sitting squarely at 17.5 most of the time. To me it makes more sense to go the XFE route than the hybrid route. I need the luggage rack, towing, spare tire and the looks of a standard Tahoe. Not to mention the standard model can get really close to the hybrids numbers IF you want to slow it down. I can beat the hybrid's highway numbers and I can get within 15 percent of the city numbers. Sorry, unless you have a business to run, there is no business case for one. The numbers just don't add up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700