Deleting Autoride Z55

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's an O8' Tahoe Z55 and the rear shocks and compressor are shot. Its been this way for over a year now, but now its starting to sway on the highway like a boat.

I'm going to swap out the air shocks for regular gas shocks, maybe 4600's or 5100's not too sure about that yet. Instead of changing out the springs for stiffer ones, I was thinking about using the Airlift 1000.
I'm looking to save a much money as possible and that kit would be cheaper than two new stiffer springs.
Not sure if this is a good idea, any thoughts?

As far as the front, the passenger strut is starting to squeak/groan all the time. Its pretty loud outside to the point that some people have turned their heads when driving by them.

I'm not totally convinced that the front struts need to be replaced as I am able to get the noise to go away. I removed the strut, turned it up side down and hosed it with liquid wrench. Let it sit for a bit and put it back on the truck and the noise was gone for about a week. However, when I go over bumps the steering wheel gives quite a big of a shake. I have checked all other suspension parts and everything seems tight. So it might be the struts.

The front does not bounce excessively or anything so I was thinking that they may be fine. If anything, I was going to just change the strut mount to get rid of the noise and worst came to worst I was just gonna swap them out with new regular struts as well.

I have both front struts unplugged and have not noticed that they are acting any worse or better so maybe they are not even doing what they are supposed to be doing. The bags in the back are unplugged as well and the fuse has been pulled. The dash has been lit up with error messages forever so I don't care about any bypass for the lights.

Is there any way to know for sure that the fronts are shot as well?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
130K is about the most I’ve gotten out of a set of front shocks on my Silverados or my Yukons. I typically got the Monroe quick struts for my trucks as I don’t like messing with spring compressors. I have not found the spring/shock assembly for the auto-ride option.

OP
OP
R

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
130K is about the most I’ve gotten out of a set of front shocks on my Silverados or my Yukons. I typically got the Monroe quick struts for my trucks as I don’t like messing with spring compressors. I have not found the spring/shock assembly for the auto-ride option.

The more I think about it I'm probably gonna change the fronts too. Which Monroe shocks did you go with?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my Silverados, I went with Monroe 139105’s. It’s a preassmbled strut with spring already installed.

My brother replaced the fronts in his ‘13 Suburban (non-autoride) with Monroe 139104’s from Rockauto.

Never found a Quick Strut kit for autoride set-up so I let the dealer mess with swapping the springs to the new strut on my Denali’s. I’ve seen to many close calls with spring compressors at work and in home garages so I let the dealer mess with it since they have the proper equipment and I don’t do it enough to justify getting it myself.

OP
OP
R

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my Silverados, I went with Monroe 139105’s. It’s a preassmbled strut with spring already installed.

My brother replaced the fronts in his ‘13 Suburban (non-autoride) with Monroe 139104’s from Rockauto.

Never found a Quick Strut kit for autoride set-up so I let the dealer mess with swapping the springs to the new strut on my Denali’s. I’ve seen to many close calls with spring compressors at work and in home garages so I let the dealer mess with it since they have the proper equipment and I don’t do it enough to justify getting it myself.

I'm looking at then on Amazon right now.

Any experice with using helper bags instead of a stiffer spring?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don’t.

I looked into that a little for my truck a few years ago. I didn’t do anything but if I had, I would have gone with airbags instead of stiffer springs so I could maintain the nicer ride when I didn’t need the extra support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645