Delete AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I'd be fine with the afm of the company gave the customer to be able to disable the afm from the dic

harpsubb92

Reaction score
Just did a BB tune on 2011 LTZ. Simple, has various tunes, turns off AFM, adjusted for new wheel size/gears & runs much better. Does not stay plugged in. Plugged into vehicle for less than 5 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave01

Reaction score
How do you like the performance gain? Major difference, or not so much?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
There is a major noticeable night and day feel after a BB tune. More responsive, better shifts and oh so much more fun

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
There is a major noticeable night and day feel after a BB tune. More responsive, better shifts and oh so much more fun

I can't wait to do the BB Autocal on my 2009 LTZ. Positive reviews like yours just make me more excited to try it.

I think AFM is an excellent idea in theory, but GM should have put more R&D and testing into it before release in 2007. It seems like the problems people are having with it is not worth the 1-2mpg increase. Agreed that there should be an option to disable it either in the settings menu or by a (free) tune service by a dealership. Seems crazy to spend $200, minimum, for a Range just to disable something that should have been optional all along.

Dave01

Reaction score
Michael, I agree it's a waste of money and way too much complexity for the small gains in mpg. But, GM I'm sure needed the gain for fleet mileage limits and so we are stuck with it. As for offering a setting or free disable, that would put them in the category of VW where they test the vehicle with systems enabled but then give the consumer a vehicle with different parameters, they would be in trouble.

GM needed to admit they had a problem, but I'm sure they did the math and the % of vehicles with failures was so low they just kept going with it, fixed later models, and didn't admit a problem. Chrysler's 5.7 with cylinder deactivation has been trouble free as far as I know, and by most accounts operates smoother than GM's.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
So after having my Afm deleted for about a month now, I don't see much mpg increase to be noticeable for me to turn it back on. One definite plus, my oil level is still full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar