Delete AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OptimumShine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals,

Looking into disabling the AFM on my 2007 Yukon. No longer under warranty (of course) so what would be the cheapest option?

I know about the Range Module, and possible Black Bear Tune. What is the deal with "tuners" though? Do they have to be plugged in 24/7? Could I not just find a mechanic or someone local that has one to change the setting or am I off base in my thinking?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Least expensive way to go is probably the Range Device. But, its something you have to keep track of.

Second choice would be a tune from said BB or other reputable tuner/tuners in your area or online.

Third, most expensive route would be to remove/delete it completely and that would also include the tune.

They do make hand held tuners but I am not familiar with there capabilities. I believe they are capable of disabling it though as well as other features. If you know of a tuner locally, that would probably be the best route to go.

Dave01

Reaction score
On my 2010 I run at lower than highway speeds in manual mode. In manual, in any gear but 6th, the AFM won't kick in. So under 50-55 or so I run in 5th, no AFM switching on and off. Still kicks in in 6th gear though ....

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I got the Superchips Flashpaq. Works great, solid customer support. Easy interface with plenty of options. Once you plug in and do your upload or mod then you can disconnect. I was going to get that Range device to disable the AFM but that's about the only thing it seemed to do. For a little more the Superchips had a lot more options, different tunes, codes, etc and most important, free updates. and yes, it does disable the AFM if that's all you want to do.

fatboyracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Superchips Flashpaq. Works great, solid customer support. Easy interface with plenty of options. Once you plug in and do your upload or mod then you can disconnect. I was going to get that Range device to disable the AFM but that's about the only thing it seemed to do. For a little more the Superchips had a lot more options, different tunes, codes, etc and most important, free updates. and yes, it does disable the AFM if that's all you want to do.
+++1

BlkYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Range is $199, I got my DiabloSport tuner for $299, I've seen them used for $150. So many more things you can do with a tuner than disable AFM, remove speed limiter, log data, change tire sizes, gear ratios and shift points. Not to mention install 87/89/93 octane tunes or pay a third party to do a custom tune!

after disabeling these, what kind of MPG are you guys seeing?

I did not see a difference in gas mileage. If anything it's a hair lower mpg.

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or pay a third party to do a custom tune!.

Is that a real thing?? If say you have a programmer (Diablo or whatever) you can use that to load tunes from vendors such as Black Bear?

(Sorry if this constitutes hijacking the thread)

Sincei bought my blower used it obviously didn't come with a tune, and since I heard black bear is incredibly busy at the moment (and I just can't wait any longer) I ordered the base/stock magnuson tune for my setup from SCOL, they said it will come pre loaded on a tuner, and that I can use that same tuner later on (say when I pulley down) as a medium to load a tuner purchased from a vendor... I wasn't sure if that was correct or not?? Back in 04 when I bought my radix it came w a pre loaded tuner (superchips I believe) but it was ONLY good for that... Well that and returning it to the factory tune, otherwise worthless...
I've been outta the game for far too long...

fatboyracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a real thing?? If say you have a programmer (Diablo or whatever) you can use that to load tunes from vendors such as Black Bear?

(Sorry if this constitutes hijacking the thread)

Sincei bought my blower used it obviously didn't come with a tune, and since I heard black bear is incredibly busy at the moment (and I just can't wait any longer) I ordered the base/stock magnuson tune for my setup from SCOL, they said it will come pre loaded on a tuner, and that I can use that same tuner later on (say when I pulley down) as a medium to load a tuner purchased from a vendor... I wasn't sure if that was correct or not?? Back in 04 when I bought my radix it came w a pre loaded tuner (superchips I believe) but it was ONLY good for that... Well that and returning it to the factory tune, otherwise worthless...
I've been outta the game for far too long...
most preloaded tuners can be updated via the web for other cars and trucks after the vin lock has been been put back so the car you use it on is back to factory

as far as using a tuner to load a custom tune done by someone else I don't think this would work but IDK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick