Dashskin Removal, Dashboard Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone may have some experience with removing the Dashskin cap which was placed over a cracked dashboard and how they went about removing it. I've searched through the few mega threads on replacement and addition of the cap but haven't found anything on removal so far.

I've acquired a 2013 Yukon XL which came from CA which not only has a cracked dash but the dashskin cap over it which has begun to warp from the sun.

The largest effort will be somehow slicing the skin at the divider of the very front piece and the main dashboard piece and then it should be fairly simple to remove.

So far I've found this video on the overall process

Besides the front piece and main dash, is there anything else which would need to be ordered or any other trim pieces I am going to destroy while taking it out?

Trying to also confirm part numbers for those two pieces, I am going to visit my dealer tomorrow to pick it up from fluid changes and can also confirm with them on ordering and pricing.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You will need to work hard at separating the Dashskin from the original dash. Perhaps with a thin putty knife to work it off.

Regarding changing out the factory dash. I didn't need any additional parts. I watched a few videos and went at it. I would suggest removing the shift handle to help get the dash out and in. Get a good set of trim tools and make sure you have enough time to do the job without too many interruptions so you keep track of everything you take apart.

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to work hard at separating the Dashskin from the original dash. Perhaps with a thin putty knife to work it off.

That might work, I was thinking of Dremelling through the skin width wise to separate. With a putty knife I should be able to separate them enough to where I can pull each piece out individually.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should just need the main dash and the extension which is the flat piece by the windshield. I agree a Dremel would probably be your best bet to cut the dash skin and get the dash separated from the filler. This is part of the reason I’d never do the dash skin. That and the fact you can no longer service items that are under the dash and filler without this hassle and mess. Maybe you could take pics and document it so others can take this into consideration when deciding on how they want to repair the cracked dash issue.

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed with the dealer that the two part numbers are 23224747 for the main dash and 23224733 for the extension, I don't have a center speaker and have the black ebony interior.

Prices I've seen for each online are around $450-500 for the main dash and $275-350 for the extension excluding shipping. Pricing from a dealer is $660 for the dash and $420 for the extension. I've got a very good relationship with the service department at my local Cadillac dealer and they are going to see what they can do on pricing for the two parts as they understand the dash issue but I am not the original owner to either vehicle.

From a warranty perspective, if I get the part through the dealer and the dash cracks (Second generation should not) its covered and I exchange the part at the dealer. The extension isn't as important as the dash as it comes in a giant box by freight as others have mentioned whereas it can ship direct to the dealer.

Maybe you could take pics and document it so others can take this into consideration when deciding on how they want to repair the cracked dash issue.

I will need to take pictures for my own sanity when the dash comes out so that I can get the thing back in, I will absolutely share when finished.

My goal is to get the dash purchased this week and with shipping get in my hands by the end of next or the week of 8/15, that should allow for me to complete the actual conversion on the 20th or the week of the 27th.

Holding up the dash swap is my selection of a new Nav unit, I want to swap everything at once as I need to route the GPS antenna under the dash for the new head unit.

I need to get it completed prior to 9/10 as that is my last full weekend prior to heading back to Saturday grad school.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confirmed with the dealer that the two part numbers are 23224747 for the main dash and 23224733 for the extension, I don't have a center speaker and have the black ebony interior.

Prices I've seen for each online are around $450-500 for the main dash and $275-350 for the extension excluding shipping. Pricing from a dealer is $660 for the dash and $420 for the extension. I've got a very good relationship with the service department at my local Cadillac dealer and they are going to see what they can do on pricing for the two parts as they understand the dash issue but I am not the original owner to either vehicle.

From a warranty perspective, if I get the part through the dealer and the dash cracks (Second generation should not) its covered and I exchange the part at the dealer. The extension isn't as important as the dash as it comes in a giant box by freight as others have mentioned whereas it can ship direct to the dealer.

I will need to take pictures for my own sanity when the dash comes out so that I can get the thing back in, I will absolutely share when finished.

My goal is to get the dash purchased this week and with shipping get in my hands by the end of next or the week of 8/15, that should allow for me to complete the actual conversion on the 20th or the week of the 27th.

Holding up the dash swap is my selection of a new Nav unit, I want to swap everything at once as I need to route the GPS antenna under the dash for the new head unit.

I need to get it completed prior to 9/10 as that is my last full weekend prior to heading back to Saturday grad school.
The piece near the windshield is called the upper dash. Dorman sells them for about $80.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The piece near the windshield is called the upper dash. Dorman sells them for about $80.
I was just coming here to post the Dorman p/n, 926-336. Dorman calls it an upper dashoard panel, GM calls it an extension. There’s been one or two members here who have installed one and the consensus is it’s nearly a perfect match with possibly the grain being a tiny bit different. To me it’s worth it, Amazon lists them for $71 shipped with Prime currently.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had any trouble removing the crappy dash skin covers.

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dashboard has been ordered directly from the Cadillac dealer I work with and working to procure the Dorman dash extension. From their site it looks like they only sell through physical stores.

I am hoping to have both by the end of the week and perform the swap either this Saturday or the next.

I'll like this over to my other thread for both 2500s as mirrors arrived and grill guard is on order, still waiting for exterior trim and weather stripping to come in so that I can send it to paint and rust proofing.

Edit: Dorman part found on Amazon for $77. Went with dashboard directly from GM as the dealer gave me a great deal and it's warrantied for 2 years through GM with unlimited miles.