Dashboard cracked ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

maybe the TX heat was a little too much. My dashboard cracked, from the left front corner of the airbag, to the front, it's about an inche, inch and a half long. when pushed together you can't really see it, maybe it was already there, and just never noticed.

Is there a permanent and easy fix for that?

thanks,

Ron

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
They all do it. You can either buy the cover or replace the entire piece. Where in TX are you, I do these all the time

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all do it. You can either buy the cover or replace the entire piece. Where in TX are you, I do these all the time

I was in TX, road trip visiting my sister. I am in NM .. but in TX every few months

Ron

BTW: it is not the front panel, that would just be too easy, it's the part that wraps around the whole darn dash.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a youtube video .. that shows how to do it.

step 1: Take everything off the front that is not the dash board
step 2: .....

Ron

Xray70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dashboard cracked a few years ago and I paid for a new one from the dealership....now today I have 2 new smaller cracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Ron, that's the video you plastic weld it. Just hope you don't get any squeak or rattles when you put it back together.

That's what makes me weary to replace my dash. I cant stand squeaks.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dashboard cracked a few years ago and I paid for a new one from the dealership....now today I have 2 new smaller cracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's why I am looking into maybe something "easier" but of course that never works and I don't feel like spending the price for the dash, and installation costs and have the problem 2 years from now again.

I think it is heat related.. because sometimes the gap wiil close, when it is warmer and the sun is on it

Ron

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Chalk it up to the aging process of any vehicle. Yes it sucks that the accountants got involved and told the engineers to reduce the amount of plastic that they could use. Just to save 3 cents on each vehicle, but from a bean counters standpoint that's a lot of money. Oh but wait how much did GM waste on warranty claims. In my book that translates to a bunch of dumb *****. Remember this, the guy that designed that dash didn't graduate at the top of his class, you get what you pay for. Low paid engineers, = low quality products.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super common problem on all the NNBS GM SUV’s and pickups. I tried the hot staple method on my 08 Silvy but the plastic was too brittle and it just kept cracking, as well as the flat piece in front of the dash that surrounds the vents by the windshield. That one broke when I was removing it to take the damn dash out. I replaced both pieces and they were over $700 together. I’m going to tint the windshield before next summer to keep the sun off it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts