Dash squeak driving me insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DominatorC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I am new, I own a 2017 Tahoe Premier. I have a extremely annoying dash squeak noise that occurs at any speed intermittently. I removed different parts of the dash to no prevail, I can not pinpoint where its coming from. I'm just curious if anyone had anything similar.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

PITA squeaks. I had a 1988 Z71 pickup with a dash squeak. Caused me to get rid of it.

OP
OP
D

DominatorC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone at least have instructions on how to further disassemble the dash around where the airbag is?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OP
OP
D

DominatorC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ironically I took it to my mechanic friend to look at (which has a bumpy driveway) although the whole drive over it did it, it stopped doing it since arrival there. Couldn't replicate for him and couldn't replicate on the way back.

Attachments

• 20221210_094311.jpg
    20221210_094311.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220821_125011.jpg
    20220821_125011.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 5

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001... May not translate... I rebuilt my dash, mostly. Have to tear it down again though similar problem but only when off-road.

Dash is overwhelming, but when you break it down not too bad. Snds like your friend knows well enough to help.

Basic structure / disassembly... You have a skin which lays on a skeleton. There are technical words for it but I forgot them. Pull the lower knee bolsters off. Then the top, and then remove the controls. You may also have to remove A pillar trim.

This exposes the skeleton everything attaches too. You will have vents and various control boxes on top of Skelton. You can remove all those.

You also have to remove the steering wheel. Then the skeleton can come off. This exposes an inner aluminum structure holding steering column, wiring harness etc. On passenger side and center is the air handler for HVAC.

That is as far as I have gone... Hopefully you don't need to do all that. Somebody smarter than I probably knows how to remove it all at once cause the factory installs dash assembled from what I understand.

Long story short... Get yourself felt tape, gorilla tape, foam tape etc... Insulate and take things off that might be source of rattling WHENEVER you take it apart. Also make sure your screws and fasteners are all snug... Don't crank of them but say zero lash and tad more. You can also put small bead of rtv on parts that might cause a rattle or squeak. Apply very small bead, and let it dry before reassembly.

My two cents. Oh one last tip, if every you need to learn, visit local junkyard and disassemble one of the wrecked trucks

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 squeaks, but mine appears to come from the driver's side of the center console near my knee. If I press on it, it'll stop. It's rather annoying but I haven't had a chance to fully investigate it. I also get a squeal from the rear HVAC on occasion as well as my front blower as well, but only when on lowest speed and not constantly.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Ironically I took it to my mechanic friend to look at (which has a bumpy driveway) although the whole drive over it did it, it stopped doing it since arrival there. Couldn't replicate for him and couldn't replicate on the way back.

Like others had said as you put the dash together put felt on the surfaces that you think are rubbing. I recommend the moleskin (link below) because the adhesive is the best I have found. I keep this stuff in my tool box all the time. Every time I remove panels I install back with some felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar