dash crack getting worse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron, the dash on my 2011 DPS Tahoe was so full of cracks a repair like the video shows was a no go. After researching dash covers I decided that was more money and time than I wanted to spend, especially with the varying reviews of that method. So I went with a very easy and relatively inexpensive dash mat. There are a couple of options but it is basically a carpet for the dash. I just covered the whole thing up. It looks nice and was cost effective and fast. Here is a pic. Good Luck
Mine has the same thing. Out of sight, out of mind at this point...KINDA! I hot stapled and epoxied my NBS dash right before selling it and it worked okay....Not sure I want to pull this out and repair but I have done far more stupid and frustrating things before! :)

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a dash skin for about 3 years (cmc installed it) and leaning towards just buying a new dash for $500. It may “look” ok but man it still makes noise when it gets cold….or hot. Just sick of the squeaks.
Sounds like not enough silicon was used. After a confident dry fitting on mine, I knew the skin was to never come off again (intentionally), so I didn't spare a drop in the tube they sent with my DashSkin. I did have a little left, only because I didn't want it oozing out of any ends. I put PLENTY around every crack, in fact I gooped up the progressive cracks so the silicon would contact and bond between all of those surfaces well.

I am in the armpit of the south, we get below zero and well over 100 degrees (even higher with our humidity and heat index). Probably not as cold as you get regularly, but we get a fluctuation which I'd think is worse. Hell, its 70 degrees today....Dec 28th. Not normal by any means. :p

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like not enough silicon was used. After a confident dry fitting on mine, I knew the skin was to never come off again (intentionally), so I didn't spare a drop in the tube they sent with my DashSkin. I did have a little left, only because I didn't want it oozing out of any ends. I put PLENTY around every crack, in fact I gooped up the progressive cracks so the silicon would contact and bond between all of those surfaces well.

I am in the armpit of the south, we get below zero and well over 100 degrees (even higher with our humidity and heat index). Probably not as cold as you get regularly, but we get a fluctuation which I'd think is worse. Hell, its 70 degrees today....Dec 28th. Not normal by any means. :p
Unfortunately I didn’t get to install it (even though that was supposed to be the deal). The other issue I’ve got is where the piece at the base of the window clips in is mostly broken too so it doesnt hold that piece tight anymore.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried pretty much everything on my Silverado and it ended up cracking in 2 new places. I ended up replacing the dash.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered it and had it shipped for cheaper than my local thief of a dealer. I bought it from www.gmpartsnow.com . They do a 50% off shipping for orders over $299 so I only paid about $100 for freight.
Oof, doesn’t appear that way for me. $200 shipping which comes out to $630 or so. Same as everywhere else

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof, doesn’t appear that way for me. $200 shipping which comes out to $630 or so. Same as everywhere else
Do you see the banner at the top of their webpage where it says half off shipping on orders over $299? You have to click that, copy the code, and enter it in the promo box at checkout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98